Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/09/14 12:29:32 UTC

[PROPOSAL] extract part of james-server xdocs to site project or to server-site subproject

We already removed a few genirc James project docs from the server
source tree. Now I would like to remove something more and create a
"server-site" project to mantain all of the site-related things from the
server product.

We could even simply move this to the server subfolder of the site
project (maybe this is better as a first try, so we don't increase too
much the number of modules needed to build the website)

I would like to move the James menu (Overview, James FAQ, Mailing lists,
Wiki) and the Project menu (Bug Database, Source Code, TODO, not sure
about Changelog) and Useful RFCs out from the server source tree and
only keep pages found in the documentation menu inside each specific
james source tree.

This way we can keep james 2.2 and james 2.3 documentations live at the
same time in an easy way, then we could move to 2.3+2.4, then 2.4 and
3.0 and so on.

WDYT?

Re: [PROPOSAL] extract part of james-server xdocs to site project or to server-site subproject

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>> Stefano,
>>
>> The primary goal is to split release specific and release agnostic
>> docs and win a website having docs from different releases live
>> peacefully next to each other, right? That's good.
>>
>> Now, if we introduce "server-site" wouldn't we have to create
>> "<other_subproject>-site" as well for consistency reasons? I would not
>> like that. Documentations belongs to the sub-project, not in its own
>> sub-project (at least here at James).
>>
>> What about merging "site" and your proposed content for "server-site"?
>> BTW, is james/site/src still used currently?
>
> Yes, I agree.
>
> We should better move "common" pages from server to site, even if they
> are product specific.
>
> Stefano

Maybe this last sentence is not clear: I agree with you that we don't
need to create a further project for the "server-site" stuff because we
can simply put that pages in our site project, under the server folder
(that is the second "alternative" proposal from the main topic)

Stefano

Re: [PROPOSAL] extract part of james-server xdocs to site project or to server-site subproject

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> > Yes, but what does this have to do with a Maven repository?  Perhaps
Stefano
> > needs to be more clear.

> Maven?? I didn't use that word in this proposal ;-)
> This proposal has nothing to do with maven repositories!

Sorry, I conflated your two proposals.

> I would like to keep in the server source tree only the docs that are
> specific to that release and that would not need more changes after the
> release has been done.

Sounds about right.

	--- Noel

Re: [PROPOSAL] extract part of james-server xdocs to site project or to server-site subproject

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> The primary goal is to split release specific and release agnostic docs
>> and win a website having docs from different releases live peacefully
>> next to each other, right? That's good.
>
> Yes, but what does this have to do with a Maven repository?  Perhaps Stefano
> needs to be more clear.

Maven?? I didn't use that word in this proposal ;-)
This proposal has nothing to do with maven repositories!

Maybe I should apply things with a commit so it is more clear, and we
can revert if you don't like it, ok?

>> Documentations belongs to the sub-project, not in its own
>> sub-project (at least here at James).
>
> Sub-project related docs with each sub-project, overall site does in site/.
> But I suspect that we both agree.  :-)

There are few pages (I made a list in the root message of this thread)
that are currently included in our server source tree and maybe should
be better moved to the site source tree (under the server folder).

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Stefano,

The primary goal is to split release specific and release agnostic docs
and win a website having docs from different releases live peacefully
next to each other, right? That's good.

Now, if we introduce "server-site" wouldn't we have to create
"<other_subproject>-site" as well for consistency reasons? I would not
like that. Documentations belongs to the sub-project, not in its own
sub-project (at least here at James).

What about merging "site" and your proposed content for "server-site"?
BTW, is james/site/src still used currently?

   Bernd