Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michal Krajňanský <mi...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/07 14:26:58 UTC

Solrcloud solrconfig.xml

Hi Everyone,

I am quite a bit confused about managing configuration files with Zookeeper
for running Solr in cloud mode.

To be precise, I was able to upload the config files (schema.xml,
solrconfig.xml) into the Zookeeper and run Solrcloud.

What confuses me are properties like "data.dir", or replication request
handlers. It seems like these should be different for each of the servers
in the cloud. So how does it work?

(I did google to understand the matter unsuccessfully.)

Best,

Michal

Re: Solrcloud solrconfig.xml

Posted by Michal Krajňanský <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,

Thank you for making this clearer (it helped me solve issue with
replication I asked about in different thread). However I suspect I still
do something wrong.

I am running a single Tomcat instance with two instances of Solr.

The shared solrconfig.xml contains:
<dataDir>${solr.data.dir:data}</dataDir>

And the Tomcat contexts set the solr/home as follows:
<Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
value=".../solrcloud/solr1" override="true" />
<Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
value=".../solrcloud/solr2" override="true" />

The directory structure is as follows:

.../solrcloud/solr1/solr.xml
.../solrcloud/solr1/core1
.../solrcloud/solr1/core1/core.properties
.../solrcloud/solr1/core1/data

.../solrcloud/solr2/solr.xml

After having issued ADDREPLICA on the collection managed by core1, I would
expect to see the new data dir under ".../solrcloud/solr2/core2/data".
However I have seen something like this: (the core names were a little
different).

.../solrcloud/solr2/solr.xml
.../solrcloud/solr2/core2
.../solrcloud/solr2/core2/core.properties
.../solrcloud/data    (!)

I.e. the new core data dir was created relative to the parent solrcloud
folder. Makes me confused...

Best,

Michal Krajnansky

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.