Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Henry Taylor <ht...@agristats.com> on 2009/09/01 17:58:15 UTC

Running SVN Client on 16-bit MS-DOS machine

I can't tell for certain, though it looks this way, but can I NOT run
Subversion on a 16-bit MS-DOS machine?  It's not a Windows box opened to
a command prompt.  It's pure MS-DOS OS.  Are there any tools that will
allow me to do this?

Henry Taylor
Agri Stats
260-407-2715
htaylor@agristats.com

Re: Running SVN Client on 16-bit MS-DOS machine

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 13:58, Henry Taylor<ht...@agristats.com> wrote:
> I can't tell for certain, though it looks this way, but can I NOT run
> Subversion on a 16-bit MS-DOS machine?  It's not a Windows box opened to a
> command prompt.  It's pure MS-DOS OS.  Are there any tools that will allow
> me to do this?

I've only seen Win32 binaries released, so you'd have to compile your
own from source. You'd probably have to port it to a 16-bit
environment.

RE: Re: Re: Running SVN Client on 16-bit MS-DOS machine

Posted by Henry Taylor <ht...@agristats.com>.
> Subversion is built on top of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR).  So
> it can generally run or be ported to any OS that APR has been ported.
> Many years ago I successfully led an effort to port SVN to OS/400.
> This worked because the OS included Apache2 and APR already.
>
> I am pretty sure that Apache2 has not been ported to MS-DOS, which
> means that it is likely APR has not been either.
>
> --
> Thanks
>
> Mark Phippard
> http://markphip.blogspot.com/

That is pretty much how I was understanding things.  Thank you.

Re: Re: Running SVN Client on 16-bit MS-DOS machine

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Taylor <ht...@agristats.com>.

Posted by Keith Moore <Ke...@securency.com>.
Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Henry Taylor!

>> When you say "DOS Box" do you mean a cmd.exe window running in Windows
>> XP/Vista/7 or do you litterly mean that they run a PC with DOS 3.31 as the
>> primary operating system?
>>
>> If the former, sure you can use SVN in a cmd window. If you mean the
>> latter... ug. I would suggest setting up a DOS VM that has access to mapped
>> drives on the host machine where your working copy is.

> I mean the latter.  We literally have PC with DOS as the primary operating system.  Funny, isn't it?

It is.
You can dig the depths of internets for Win32 runtime layer for native DOS.
It exists, moreover, i've had a reports of successfully running FAR Manager
under it.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Re: Running SVN Client on 16-bit MS-DOS machine

Posted by Dave Levitt <da...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Henry Taylor<ht...@agristats.com> wrote:
>> When you say "DOS Box" do you mean a cmd.exe window running in Windows XP/Vista/7 or do you litterly mean that they run a PC with DOS 3.31 as the primary operating system?
>>
>> If the former, sure you can use SVN in a cmd window. If you mean the latter... ug. I would suggest setting up a DOS VM that has access to mapped drives on the host machine where your working copy is.
>>
>> BOb
>
> I mean the latter.  We literally have PC with DOS as the primary operating system.  Funny, isn't it?

I don't know if [for example] Sun's Virtualbox allows DOS as a client
OS, but here is another off the wall suggestion.

Have your developers develop and test in an actual copy of MS/PC/Open
DOS, running in a virtual 8086 machine with OS/2 as the host operating
system. [this is not using OS/2's built in 'better DOS than DOS'
emulation - but that may be an even better option]. Revision control
[svn command line] is then run from an OS/2 command prompt.

OS/2 is still available with the unfortunate name of 'eComStation',
and will install on extremely low end commodity hardware [20 MHz i386
or better]. The virtual machine capability is surprisingly versatile -
at one point I tested running a CP/M-86 virtual machine [had to give
it a private filesystem on a separate partition].

RE: Re: Running SVN Client on 16-bit MS-DOS machine

Posted by Henry Taylor <ht...@agristats.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Henry Taylor <ht...@agristats.com>.

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.