Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by lgabrielmf <lg...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/03 01:47:42 UTC

Flex Air Support

Hello everyone!

I'm finishing a product that I'll soon release to the market and I've used
Apache Flex Air as the desktop client. How are the expectations about Apache
Flex Air? Will it continue to be supported?

Thanks for your attention.

Re: Flex Air Support

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@gmail.com>.
Apache Flex is an open-source project -- so it won't be "going away".
Right now we have a thriving community that is actively contributing code
to it's success (in fact, we just released a new version of the SDK a few
weeks ago).

Adobe AIR is a toolkit that takes the output of Apache Flex and makes it a
desktop application.  This is owned and managed by Adobe.  It is not
open-source.  Adobe does have a commitment for at least another year to
continue development on it, and from the current trajectory, it seems they
will continue development further, but there is no guarantee. Either way,
even if it were to go away on day 1, you can still use it to make your
applications.

-Nick

Re: Flex Air Support

Posted by lgabrielmf <lg...@gmail.com>.
  Oh, now that you’ve cleared up I could do some initial tests and it looks great. One can benefit a lot from using FlexJS to migrate the ActionScript application’s core to JS.

  I will definitely look at it later on.

  At this moment I don’t have the time to migrate the application. The first release of my product is planned for the next month. I love Apache Flex AIR, but I think it may be too risky to rely on Apache Air in the long run. As you’ve said there’s no guarantee that Adobe will continue it’s development. I still have some time, though. And I think all I can do for now is hope that Apache Flex live longer. It’s definitely a great technology and I had a lot of fun developing in it’s platform.

  Cheers,

Gabriel

Re: Flex Air Support

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@gmail.com>.