Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> on 2014/10/01 17:00:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Changes in 2.4 require Directory?

I had a domain that had been inactive for several years (as far as a web page is concerned, it still received email and some other services). I went to enable the domain by uncommenting it’s host block, and it did not work.

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName www.thedomain.tld
   ServerAlias thedomain.tld
   DocumentRoot /home/kris/www/thedomain.tld/wordpress
</VirtualHost>

In order to get the domain to load, I had to add a directory clause:

<Directory /home/kris/www/thedomain.tld>
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
    Require all granted
</Directory>

Of course, I did this for the domains that were active when I switched to Apache 2.4, but it occurs to me that I *should* be able to specify the directory settings for both /www/* and /home/*/www/* in the http.conf file as I did in the old ancient versions of apache.

So I tried it:

<Directory "/usr/local/www">
    Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks +Includes
    AllowOverride All
    Require all granted
</Directory>

(/www/ is a link to /usr/local/www)

But no, it doesn’t work. If I create a new folder “fred” and put an index.html file in it, apache will not access it unless I put a specific directory clause for that new folder.

In fact, it will not even access www.mydomain.tld/fred/index.html even though the folder and files are world readable. All I get is a Forbidden error.

On the one hand, the few domains that are hosted are working, but on the other hand, boy this is annoying and I don’t know what I am missing.

--
"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language.
Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?