Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Vishanth Balasubramaniam <vi...@wso2.com> on 2014/10/06 11:36:01 UTC

Error : NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/cassandra/service/CassandraDaemon

Hi,

I am relatively new to Cassandra and getting this following error when I
run Cassandra.

root@instance-00000001:/opt/cassandra/bin# cassandra
root@instance-00000001:/opt/cassandra/bin# Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/cassandra/service/CassandraDaemon
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon
Could not find the main class:
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.  Program will exit.

I tried cassandra, cassandra -f, cassandra -f start, which all prompted me
the same issue.

I believe this could be because of incorrect Classpath, I would like to
know how to set the Classpath correctly.

Thank you,
--
*Vishanth Balasubramaniam*
Software Engineer

mobile: *+94771737718*
about me: *http://about.me/vishanth <http://about.me/vishanth>*

Re: Error : NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/cassandra/service/CassandraDaemon

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.
On 10/06/2014 04:36 AM, Vishanth Balasubramaniam wrote:
> root@instance-00000001:/opt/cassandra/bin# cassandra
> root@instance-00000001:/opt/cassandra/bin# Exception in thread "main"
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/cassandra/service/CassandraDaemon
> org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon
> at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
> at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
> Could not find the main class:
> org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.  Program will exit.
>
> I tried cassandra, cassandra -f, cassandra -f start, which all prompted me
> the same issue.

Judging from the /opt path, this looks like a tar install - what version?

> I believe this could be because of incorrect Classpath, I would like to
> know how to set the Classpath correctly.

If you look at the bin/cassandra shell script, the first thing it does
is look for cassandra.in.sh, which is in the same bin/ directory in a
tar install. bin/cassandra.in.sh is where the jars are added to $CLASSPATH.

If this is a git checkout, you need to build cassandra, first  ;)

This question is also not on topic for the dev list (development
discussion for cassandra), and would better be suited to the user list
(general discussion list for users).

--
Kind regards,
Michael