Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Eric Wood <ap...@hostdepot.net> on 2004/12/09 00:22:35 UTC

Don't know how to do it!

Hi,

I'm new to maven and have searched previous postings but still can't find a solution to implement my wonderfull idea with maven.

I have about 8 separate small projects that are part of our organizations "commons" project. Each project has its own module in CVS and its own set of versions in the project.xml, nice because its making the code more separated and manageable.  However I'm finding that these projects are so fine grained that things are becoming a little too tedious; I'm trying to do two things:

1: have a master project that does nothing but wraps all of the separate sub project jars into one monster jar to ease the dependency list on others.

I'm  baving a tough time thinking about the project structure in CVS because it seems like this would lead to have a module within a module (children modules would be inside the parent module folder)

2: Get a more efficient development process when working with children projects in eclipse.

It would be really cool to be able to use maven scm to check out all of our "commons" sub project modules into one directory and use maven eclipse to generate .project files for the projects I want to work with.

Then in eclipse import those projects and if one project depends on the other its pointed to the target bin where eclipse puts the compiled classes. This way I can make lots of changes to various related projects without having to update my local repository with a snapshot jar every time I change (which is how I'm doing it now)

I suspect the multi-project plugin could do this but only found limited documentation on the plug-in web page. Any input, links or advice would be greatly appreciated. - Eric

Re: Don't know how to do it!

Posted by Eric Wood <ap...@hostdepot.net>.
Why did I not think of that? Thanks...

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Don't know how to do it!

Re: Don't know how to do it!

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Don't know how to do it!

Posted by Eric Wood <ap...@hostdepot.net>.
Disregard my previous post I found a great article at
http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/CreatingEjbApplications that explained just
about everything I could not figure out.