Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <da...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/01 22:19:04 UTC

Copyrights

I'm considering doing some enhancements to Lucene/Solr on behalf of another
organization/entity who wants me to include copyright statements to them.
Same ASLv2 license.  This is no big deal; right?  I see we've already got
some source files with non-ASF copyright licenses (e.g. Automata.java and
others), and I see we have NOTICE files referencing it too.  I also see
some special support in common-build.xml to detect it.

~ David

Re: Copyrights

Posted by "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <da...@gmail.com>.
I'll send a note to that Apache list; thanks for the reference.

Re: Copyrights

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.

Re: Copyrights

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:24 PM david.w.smiley@gmail.com <
david.w.smiley@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm considering doing some enhancements to Lucene/Solr on behalf of
> another organization/entity who wants me to include copyright statements to
> them.  Same ASLv2 license.  This is no big deal; right?  I see we've
> already got some source files with non-ASF copyright licenses (e.g.
> Automata.java and others), and I see we have NOTICE files referencing it
> too.  I also see some special support in common-build.xml to detect it.

http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

I would say this comes under works submitted directly by the copyright
owner or the owner's agent, and we don't want any copyright notices in it.

   1. This section refers only to works submitted directly to the ASF by
   the copyright owner or owner's agent.
   2.
   If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it,
   the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
      1. remove such notices, or
      2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
      project release, or
      3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
      relocation of the notices.

TREATMENT OF THIRD-PARTY WORKS

The term "third-party work" refers to a work not submitted directly to the
ASF by the copyright owner or owner's agent.
--
- Mark
about.me/markrmiller