Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by COFFMAN Steven <SC...@COVANSYS.com> on 2001/08/09 17:17:59 UTC

RE: Public API Change in Driver (Was Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - C ocoon2)

We are very comitted to keeping all FOP and Cocoon releases in sync. When
Cocoon changes Xerces and Xalan versions and JDK versions, so does FOP.

We plan on making a new release of FOP this weekend, and at minimum we would
also submit a patch to Cocoon for it to use the new API so the next release
of Cocoon2 would sync with FOP.

FOP underwent some major refactoring to massively reduce memory usage, and
it might not be possible to make a workable deprecated API for backwards
compatibility. (Mark?) We don't break API compatibility lightly, and don't
expect to have to do so again in the foreseeable future. Sorry for not
posting to Cocoon-dev earlier what was up.

-Steve
Posted by Mark Lillywhite <ma...@inomial.com>.
> FOP underwent some major refactoring to massively reduce memory usage, and
> it might not be possible to make a workable deprecated API for backwards
> compatibility. (Mark?) We don't break API compatibility lightly, and don't
> expect to have to do so again in the foreseeable future. Sorry for not
> posting to Cocoon-dev earlier what was up.

I remember wishing that I didn't have to make the API changes because,
well, public API changes are bad, ok? But in the end it was necessary
because the old API implicitly assumes that the FO tree building is
separate from the formatting/rendering, which is no longer the case.

I can't imagine how one would write a compatability layer.

(As an aside I will be away on holidays from Sunday - thankfully out of
the reach of my laptop (unless someone posts it to a small island in
thailand ;). So if anyone has questions/comments/abuse then you'll have
to wait till I get back. :-)

Cheers
Mark

RE: Public API Change in Driver (Was Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - C ocoon2)

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, COFFMAN Steven wrote:

> We are very comitted to keeping all FOP and Cocoon releases in sync. When
> Cocoon changes Xerces and Xalan versions and JDK versions, so does FOP.
>
> We plan on making a new release of FOP this weekend, and at minimum we would
> also submit a patch to Cocoon for it to use the new API so the next release
> of Cocoon2 would sync with FOP.
>
> FOP underwent some major refactoring to massively reduce memory usage, and
> it might not be possible to make a workable deprecated API for backwards
> compatibility. (Mark?) We don't break API compatibility lightly, and don't
> expect to have to do so again in the foreseeable future. Sorry for not
> posting to Cocoon-dev earlier what was up.

Steven, thanks for the information. As Cocoon uses FOP in a
serialisation phase of resource production it is not very harmfull to us
as long as FOP's functionallity remains the same (we'll get in trouble
if you would cancel SAX support :) But sure we'd like to stay in sync.
Submitting a patch to the FOPSerializer will be very generous, thank
you.

Giacomo

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.