Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Dave Hoffer <DH...@xrite.com> on 2006/03/28 04:13:37 UTC

How to get log4j to work with commons-logging in web service app?

I'm not sure if this is a log4j or commons-logging issue but my problem
is that...

I have an application (local web service) that uses Jetty and AXIS.  We
just started using commons-logging and we want to configure it to use
log4j.

>From the online docs I gathered that to configure commons-logging I
really just had to make sure that log4j was in my classpath; which I did
and through our IDE debugger and I see the following message which, I
think, means that commons-logging found log4j.  (Since this is through
the IDE it is the simple case, i.e. no Jetty and AXIS yet.

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (Logger_Name).

However, when I run the application (fire up Jetty/AXIS/App) I get NO
logging.  I don't know if this is a log4j or commons-logging issue at
runtime as I see nothing.

Do I need any commons-logging property/config file?  If so, where does
it go?

Where do I put the log4j.properties file?  I haven't used log4j much,
but I think it has been found in the current directory before; now this
is not working.  I have also put it in the classpath with no success.

Any ideas?  How can I debug to see where the failure is?

Thanks.

-Dave

Re: How to get log4j to work with commons-logging in web service app?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Put the config file in the default package.  Log4j will pick it up.

Jake