Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by "Pedro I. Sanchez" <ps...@colcan.biz> on 2005/05/26 06:03:17 UTC

Some feedback on using Forrest

Hello,

I created a web site which is on-line at http://www.sello-propio.com
since a few days ago. It is pretty simple and uses the default skin.
But my customer is really happy, both with the quality, and with the
speed at which changes can be introduced.

I've worked with the svn version of Forrest and I'd like to share some
comments on my experience so far.

1. The web site is in Spanish. I had to manually modify the default
skin to get rid of English messages, i.e., "Published", "Search", etc.
It would be great if the skins would refer to some file which actually
holds the translations for these messages.

2. My site.xml file has the following:

<files>
<eventos href="eventos/index.html"/>
</files>

However, <a href="site:eventos" /> is rendered as the link
http://sello-propio.com/eventos/ which you can see in the front
page. Where did the "index.html" part go? This is annoying
because while testing the site in my local hard drive (with
URLs like file:///path/to/build/site) these links give me
the list of files in the directory instead of the "index.html"
file I am expecting.

Basically, there seems to be the implicit assumption that the
web server will always figure out that index.html is the file
that has to be rendered. This is not always the case. In particular
several "embedded" web server don't have this logic built in
and require a explicit mention of the target file.

3. Why do I get "2005 2005" in the copyright label? I have this
in skinconf.xml

  <year>2005</year>
  <vendor>Sello Propio.</vendor>

I'd like this to read "2004-2005" but if I put <year>2004-2005</year> I
get "2004-2005 2004-2005". The skin always doubles up the content of the
<year> :(

4. You will notice that the date in the top right of the pages is
the current date/time as of the moment you click to see each page.
This is supposed to be the "Published" date instead! (I removed
the "Publicado", in Spanish, because it is simply not working).

The server serving the pages doesn't have Java available. Could this
be the reason why I get this weird behaviour?

Despite these problems, I'm really happy with Forrest and I want to
say thank you to the development team. And if you feel is worth it,
I'd be delighted to see this new web site in the list of samples
in the Forrest's web site.

Thank you,

--
Pedro

Re: Some feedback on using Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:

> > > I just did a svn update on my local copy of Forrest. Then I run "forrest
> > > seed; forrest" in a clean, empty, directory. I get the "2005 2005"
> > > thing. You can see the result at http://colcan.biz/forrest
> >
> > However, that does not prove anything - that will just merge any
> > changes that we might have recently made. You said that you created
> > a new skin. I reckon that that is where the problem might be.
> > Would you please do the diff command described above.
> >
> The new skin lives locally in my sello-propio src directory. I just
> copied the common and pelt directories under
> sello-propio/src/documentation/skins as per the Forrests docs, updated
> sello-propio/forrest.properties, and made local modifications to the
> skin.
>
> But the page at colcan.biz is built with an unmodified local svn copy of
> the Forrest repository. I have no changes of my own there.

That latter statement certainly helps to clarify your problem.
Still don't know what the problem is, sorry.

In the future it would be better to have separate email threads
for each issue. This thread is getting very messy with mixed topics.
Many developers will probably be missing this discussion.
Using relevant "Subject" headers attracts more attention.

> > > I have no control over the server. What exactly is required for this
> > > feature to work?
> >
> > I notice that you are using the Apache HTTP Server, so send
> > your web guy to http://httpd.apache.org/docs/
> >
> Well, the service provider uses Apache on a Linux box. I just ftp the
> web pages there. Look at http://colcan.biz/site and you will see the
> same sello-propio web pages being served out of my own PC. The date is
> right, it is the date the web pages were generated. Now, I take these
> same pages, ftp them to the real host for sello-propio and the dates
> become the current date as of the moment you click on the pages.
>
> So my question still remains, what is it missing in the web server to
> make the Last-Modified thing work? My PC seems to be OK, but
> sello-propio service provider's seems to be missing something, I just
> don't know what that is (java?).

We cannot help with http server questions. You would need to
get your service provider to configure their server properly.
Information about properly setting the http headers, so that
documents have the "Last-Modified" header, is a common topic
regarding caching of documents. Try searching the user mailings
lists at http://httpd.apache.org/

--David

Re: Some feedback on using Forrest

Posted by "Pedro I. Sanchez" <ps...@colcan.biz>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Pedro I. Sanchez" <ps...@colcan.biz>.
On Thu, 2005-26-05 at 15:55 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I created a web site which is on-line at http://www.sello-propio.com
> > since a few days ago. It is pretty simple and uses the default skin.
> > But my customer is really happy, both with the quality, and with the
> > speed at which changes can be introduced.
> >
> > I've worked with the svn version of Forrest and I'd like to share some
> > comments on my experience so far.
>
> Oh thank you. That is exactly what we need - feedback.
> Also people testing 0.7-dev is helping to create a better release.
>
> > 1. The web site is in Spanish. I had to manually modify the default
> > skin to get rid of English messages, i.e., "Published", "Search", etc.
> > It would be great if the skins would refer to some file which actually
> > holds the translations for these messages.
>
> This could be quite easily added to the skinconf.xml configuration,
> rather than a separate file. The skinconf DTD would need a tweak.
> Would you please add an Issue to our tracker. See the left-hand
> menu of our Project tab.

I'll do.

> > 2. My site.xml file has the following:
> >
> > <files>
> > <eventos href="eventos/index.html"/>
> > </files>
> >
> > However, <a href="site:eventos" /> is rendered as the link
> > http://sello-propio.com/eventos/ which you can see in the front
> > page. Where did the "index.html" part go? This is annoying
> > because while testing the site in my local hard drive (with
> > URLs like file:///path/to/build/site) these links give me
> > the list of files in the directory instead of the "index.html"
> > file I am expecting.
> >
> > Basically, there seems to be the implicit assumption that the
> > web server will always figure out that index.html is the file
> > that has to be rendered. This is not always the case. In particular
> > several "embedded" web server don't have this logic built in
> > and require a explicit mention of the target file.
>
> I wonder if this FAQ would address that issue:
> http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/faq.html#defaultStartPage

Can't connect. It doesn't seem to be the same issue.

> > 3. Why do I get "2005 2005" in the copyright label? I have this
> > in skinconf.xml
> >
> >   <year>2005</year>
> >   <vendor>Sello Propio.</vendor>
> >
> > I'd like this to read "2004-2005" but if I put <year>2004-2005</year> I
> > get "2004-2005 2004-2005". The skin always doubles up the content of the
> > <year> :(
>
> Strange. That configuration does not seem to be any different
> to what we have for forrest.apache.org and it works for us.
>
> You said that you copied the pelt skin and changed some things.
> Perhaps you accidently added something to the stylesheets
> when you were experimenting with changing the English terms.
> Doing 'diff -r skins/sello-propio skins/pelt' will reveal your
> changes.

I just did a svn update on my local copy of Forrest. Then I run "forrest
seed; forrest" in a clean, empty, directory. I get the "2005 2005"
thing. You can see the result at http://colcan.biz/forrest

> > 4. You will notice that the date in the top right of the pages is
> > the current date/time as of the moment you click to see each page.
> > This is supposed to be the "Published" date instead! (I removed
> > the "Publicado", in Spanish, because it is simply not working).
> >
> > The server serving the pages doesn't have Java available. Could this
> > be the reason why I get this weird behaviour?
>
> Perhaps there is a problem with your web server. When i request
> HEAD of that document, it shows that there is no "Last-Modified"
> header in the response.

I have no control over the server. What exactly is required for this
feature to work?

> > Despite these problems, I'm really happy with Forrest and I want to
> > say thank you to the development team.
>
> Thanks to you. If you have any general changes that you needed
> to make to the pelt skin, then send them in. That would make
> it easier for you to keep your code synchronised.
>
> > And if you feel is worth it,
> > I'd be delighted to see this new web site in the list of samples
> > in the Forrest's web site.
>
> Of course it is. Done. If you want to change the entry, then
> send us the output of
> svn diff site-author/content/xdocs/live-sites.xml

Thank you,

Pedro

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-26-05 at 12:16 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>Perhaps there is a problem with your web server. When i request
>>>HEAD of that document, it shows that there is no "Last-Modified"
>>>header in the response.
>>
>>To be clear, the last published time is taken from the LAST-MODIFIED
>>header, if it is not present the current date/time is used. Note that it
>>*should* be present, this is a config problem on your server.
>>

> As I said before, I have no control over the web server. But I'd like to
> know what exactly is needed there to get this feature working. Maybe I
> can convince someone to do it :|

How to get it working is dependant on your server. I you want to do it
in the generation of the pages search your skin files for
document.write("Last Published: " + document.lastModified);

You could change the way this is generated, perhaps taking a value from
skinconf. Not ideal as you will have to update skinconf each time you
published, but at leat it would work if you can't get the last-modified
header.

> I glad to see this is helpful. I will continue working with 0.7-dev and
> would let you know how it goes. BTW, understanding the menu generation
> thing was not trivial. There's a few things the docs fail to mention.
> I'll try to put them in some good wording later this week.

That would be superb, if you can then put a patch on our issue tracker,
see http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/contrib.html#patch. If you can't
provide a patch comments on the issue will help.

Ross

Re: Some feedback on using Forrest

Posted by "Pedro I. Sanchez" <ps...@colcan.biz>.
On Thu, 2005-26-05 at 12:16 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:

> >>I've worked with the svn version of Forrest and I'd like to share some
> >>comments on my experience so far.
> >

> > Oh thank you. That is exactly what we need - feedback.
> > Also people testing 0.7-dev is helping to create a better release.
>
> I also want to thank you, this is a very valuable contribution to the
> development of Forrest.
>
> >>2. My site.xml file has the following:
> >>
> >><files>
> >><eventos href="eventos/index.html"/>
> >></files>
> >>
> >>However, <a href="site:eventos" /> is rendered as the link
> >>http://sello-propio.com/eventos/ which you can see in the front
> >>page. Where did the "index.html" part go? This is annoying
> >>because while testing the site in my local hard drive (with
> >>URLs like file:///path/to/build/site) these links give me
> >>the list of files in the directory instead of the "index.html"
> >>file I am expecting.
> >>
> >>Basically, there seems to be the implicit assumption that the
> >>web server will always figure out that index.html is the file
> >>that has to be rendered. This is not always the case. In particular
> >>several "embedded" web server don't have this logic built in
> >>and require a explicit mention of the target file.
> >

> > I wonder if this FAQ would address that issue:
> > http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/faq.html#defaultStartPage
>
> This is a different issue, That FAQ is about changing the default page
> used if none is defined in the URL.  In this case the page to be used
> has been defined in the HREF and therefore should be included in the link.
>
> However, I have never seen this before, and a fresh-seed site shows that
> this functionality works correctly. Do:
>
> mkdir fresh
> cd fresh
> forrest seed
> forrest run
> http://localhost:8888/samples/linking.html#site
>
> Note the links in this section, they correctly link to the named page,
> for example:

> generates the link:
>
> http://localhost:8888/samples/faq.html
>

> Do you have another element in your site.xml called "eventos", that
> could be getting in the way?

Thanks! you got it. There is a tab called "eventos" as well. Removing
this duplication fixes the problemm.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.