Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Elliot Robinson <ar...@earthlink.net> on 2005/11/07 15:06:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Animated GIF problem

Hello all.  I am having problem with animated GIFs.  I recently had an
occasion to put a few up on my server, but now when I try to access
them, they come back a 403 Forbidden.  They do no appear on the index
page in an otherwise empty directory, either.  I have the permissions
set to be the exact same as all of the other files.  I'm running Fedora
Core 4, and Apache 4.0.1.  Any advice on how to get these files working
would be appreciated.

Elliot Robinson

Re: [users@httpd] Animated GIF problem

Posted by Elliot Robinson <ar...@earthlink.net>.
Thanks Josua.  I'm sure I can figure it out from here.  Thanks all!

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/8/05, Elliot Robinson <ar...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Well, now we know the source of the problem.  I disabled SELinux, and
> the GIFs appeared without a flaw.  So, I re-enabled it, and allowed
> everything possible through the GUI configuration utility.
> Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.  I currently have it working be
> disabling SELinux protection for HTTPD, but I'd really rather fix it
> than disable it.  Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct
> thing to enable/disable?

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-apache-fc3/
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Animated GIF problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/05, Elliot Robinson <ar...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I have checked the permissions, and they are the same as all of the
> other files that do work.  I have tried it with a 777 permission status
> before, and it still didn't work.  As for the log files, the error
> given is:
>
> [Mon Nov 07 20:04:15] [error][client 24.333.236.52] (13)Permission
> denied: access to /pictures/cbdAd2.gif denied, referer:
> http://www.brevardhomeschool.net/christian/index.html
>
> As I mentioned before, this only appears to happen with animated GIFs.
> All other images,(PNG, TIFF, JPG, normal GIF), work perfectly.  Thank
> you all for your help!

This is a filesystem permissions problem.  Either it is the
permissions on the file, directory, or parent directory, or it is the
SELinux configuration.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Animated GIF problem

Posted by Michael Smith <sm...@gmail.com>.
I don't think that this would be anything to do with apache as such, but
suggest that you check the permissions on the file system to ensure that the
files in question are readable by the user that the web server is running
as.

Michael Smith

Re: [users@httpd] apache server installation

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/9/05, Sameh H. Elkadry <sa...@elwekala.com> wrote:

> I try to install Apache server on my PC(Windows XP SP2) using default
> setting. Then I try to run cgi file in cig-bin directory but I failed and
> get these errors in log file
>
> [Thu Nov 10 00:24:46 2005] [error] [client 10.0.0.1] script not found or
> unable to stat: E:/OpenSA/Apache2/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi
>
> [Thu Nov 10 00:25:29 2005] [error] [client 10.0.0.1] (OS 3)The system cannot
> find the path specified.  : couldn't create child process: 720003:
> nph-proxy.cgi
>
> [Thu Nov 10 00:25:29 2005] [error] [client 10.0.0.1] (OS 3)The system cannot
> find the path specified.  : couldn't spawn child process:
> E:/OpenSA/Apache2/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi

It looks like the she-bang path to the script interpreter on the top
line of the script is not correct.  See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/cgi.html#troubleshoot
and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#scriptinterpretersource