Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/02 09:24:27 UTC

Vigilog listing as "Third-party extension"?

Hi,

I posted this on the users mailing list, but I probably needed to direct
this to the developers, so that is why I do a re-post here. Please look at:
http://www.nabble.com/Vigilog-listing-as-%22Third-party-extension%22--tf3490591.html

kind regards,

Wim

Re: Vigilog listing as "Third-party extension"?

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
On 03/04/2007, at 3:47 PM, Jacob Kjome wrote:

> I would add this to the download.xml xdocs, but it seems as if my
> commit rights have been, somehow, revoked.  I can log into
> people.apache.org, but can't seem to check anything in to Log4j
> using TortoiseSVN.  Any ideas?  BTW, at such point that I get my
> commit access back, how do I update the website after I check in
> download.xml?

Hmm, that's odd. Curt?

regarding the website, it's a bit tricky, once you've committed the
raw XML change, I think you have to also commit the 'generated'
change, and then do an svn update no the webserver.  I always found
that a bit odd, but perhaps I was doing it completely backwards.

Paul

Re: Vigilog listing as "Third-party extension"?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Quoting Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>:

> bear in mind that svn can use multiple connections to communicate,
> and often asks you for each connection.  I've seen this before,
> usually it's only 3 times, and then it seems to work.

I had thought about that, but TortoiseSVN provides a checkbox to remember the
credentials.  It fails whether I check it or not.

Jake

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Quoting Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>:

> On Apr 4, 2007, at 1:32 AM, Jacob Kjome wrote:
> > >Did you set the SVN password by running svnpass on your account on
> > >people.apache.org?  Maybe you should try to set it again in case it
> > >was reset.
> > >

> > Was I supposed to do something like this?  To tell you the truth,
> > I'm not sure I've checked anything in since we moved from CVS to
> > SVN.  Was there some sort of infrastructure stuff I was supposed to
> > perform along with this migration that I'm not aware of?  "svnpass"
> > does not appear to be a valid command under my account.  What do I
> > need to do to set this stuff up?
> >

> My bad.  svnpass was used in the early days of Subversion at ASF and
> has been replaced with a web form to change your subversion
> password.  Since you likely never set up a Subversion password to
> start, you likely will need to email root@ and request a temporary
> password and then change it on the web form.  The subversion password
> is independent from your password on people.apache.org.  See http://
> www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn

Thanks Curt.  I made the request for the temporary password.  Hopefully I'll be
up and running tonight.

Jake

Re: Vigilog listing as "Third-party extension"?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Apr 4, 2007, at 12:37 AM, Jacob Kjome wrote:

> I checked out with a URL that looks like....
>
> https://username:password@svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/trunk

I've never needed to specify username:password in the URL.  Should
only need credentials on commit.

> Then I modified download.xml and tried to check it in.  I got a
> popup message asking for authorization.  I entered my username and
> password and hit ok.  The popup just reappears asking for username/
> password again.  If I hit "cancel", I get...

Did you set the SVN password by running svnpass on your account on
people.apache.org?  Maybe you should try to set it again in case it
was reset.

> Does it help if I tell you that I can SSH into my people.apache.org
> shell account, but not svn.apache.org?  I'm not sure I'm supposed
> to be able to log into the latter via SSH, but I thought I'd
> mention it.

If I attempt it, I get:

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 11:00 AM 4/3/2007, you wrote:
 >Quoting Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>:
 >

 >> On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:47 AM, Jacob Kjome wrote:
 >>

 >> > I would add this to the download.xml xdocs, but it seems as if my
 >> > commit rights have been, somehow, revoked.  I can log into
 >> > people.apache.org, but can't seem to check anything in to Log4j
 >> > using TortoiseSVN.  Any ideas?  BTW, at such point that I get my
 >> > commit access back, how do I update the website after I check in
 >> > download.xml?
 >> >
 >> > Jake
 >> >

 >> asf-authorization looks like you should have all the necessary karma
 >> for the SVN (both logging-log4j and logging-pmc).  Did you check out
 >> the code with an https: URL?  Did it accept your SVN password and
 >> then fail, if so did it give you any specific failure message?  Could
 >> you take a shot with a command line SVN client?

I checked out with a URL that looks like....

https://username:password@svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/trunk

Then I modified download.xml and tried to check it in.  I got a popup
message asking for authorization.  I entered my username and password
and hit ok.  The popup just reappears asking for username/password
again.  If I hit "cancel", I get...

Error: Commit failed (details follow):
Error: MKACTIVITY of
'/repos/asf/!svn/act/3e53b7ac-584e-d644-87a9-70c017ba6377':
authorization failed (https://svn.apache.org)

I'm using the latest TortoiseSVN.  Here's the version info....

TortoiseSVN 1.4.3, Build 8645 - 32 Bit , 2007/02/04 09:40:57
Subversion 1.4.3,
apr 0.9.12
apr-iconv 0.9.7
apr-utils 0.9.12
berkeley db 4.4.20
neon 0.26.3
OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006
zlib 1.2.3

Does it help if I tell you that I can SSH into my people.apache.org
shell account, but not svn.apache.org?  I'm not sure I'm supposed to
be able to log into the latter via SSH, but I thought I'd mention it.

And I don't have a standalone client installed currently, just
TortoiseSVN, which doesn't seem to have an svn.exe in it's bin
folder.  It's getting late, I'll have to try again tomorrow night.

Jake

Re: Vigilog listing as "Third-party extension"?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Quoting Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>:

> On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:47 AM, Jacob Kjome wrote:
>

> > I would add this to the download.xml xdocs, but it seems as if my
> > commit rights have been, somehow, revoked.  I can log into
> > people.apache.org, but can't seem to check anything in to Log4j
> > using TortoiseSVN.  Any ideas?  BTW, at such point that I get my
> > commit access back, how do I update the website after I check in
> > download.xml?
> >
> > Jake
> >

> asf-authorization looks like you should have all the necessary karma
> for the SVN (both logging-log4j and logging-pmc).  Did you check out
> the code with an https: URL?  Did it accept your SVN password and
> then fail, if so did it give you any specific failure message?  Could
> you take a shot with a command line SVN client?

Thanks for verifying.  I can't do it from work, so I'll try it again tonight and
make sure I didn't do something dumb.

> If you want to submit a bug and attach a patch and note that you'd
> like someone else to push it out, I'll apply it and push it out to
> the servers.  If you want to do work through it yourself, feel free
> but you should still file a bug report.  The instructions at http://
> logging.apache.org/site/logging-site.html are a little bit dated (CVS
> instead of SVN), but I think they still outline the basic process.

It's not an emergency checkin, so I'll wait until I get my commit issue
resolved.  Hopefully it's just something stupid on my part and not a real
problem.

Thanks Curt!

Jake

Re: Vigilog listing as "Third-party extension"?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.