Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "mr_1978@juno.com" <mr...@juno.com> on 2007/02/05 00:08:54 UTC

User Interface response time plugin

Hi All,

I'm using Jmeter to test a UI which submits information via a form and
displays the results in multiple frames within an HTML page which has
ajax embedded in the HTML pages to only make requests to the server for
information when necessary.

I'm wondering if there is any way for me to capture the actual time it
takes for the full page to load in the browser, versus the time it
takes for the client to receive the response? Are these considered the
same in means of response time?  Also is there a way for me to capture
the time it takes teach Ajax request to respond?

Google hasn't been much help in finding the answers to these questions
so I'm turning to the group for help.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Re: User Interface response time plugin

Posted by git <gi...@cubicalland.com>.
Aaron ,

As Sebb said, the solution is to capture the communication between the
browser and the server via a JMeter proxy.  Although you might think of
AJAX as being different to 'normal' browser traffic, the web server sees
it as being identical.  So, once you have captured the requests that are
being sent via AJAX you can replicate them and time them as you would
other page load.  We at Project-Network do it all the time.

As well as the wiki and other JMeter help, you can check out
nerds-central
http://nerds-central.blogspot.com/2006/08/pushing-envelope-with-jmeter.html and http://nerds-central.blogspot.com/2006/09/pushing-envelope-little-more.html both of which I wrote to get our team members started on this sort of thing.

Cheers

AJ

www.cubicalland.com
www.nerds-central.blogspot.com

Re: User Interface response time plugin

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 04/02/07, mr_1978@juno.com <mr...@juno.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Jmeter to test a UI which submits information via a form and
> displays the results in multiple frames within an HTML page which has
> ajax embedded in the HTML pages to only make requests to the server for
> information when necessary.

JMeter does not support Javascript in web pages, so AJAX routines will
not be invoked.

> I'm wondering if there is any way for me to capture the actual time it
> takes for the full page to load in the browser, versus the time it

JMeter is not a browser.

> takes for the client to receive the response? Are these considered the
> same in means of response time?  Also is there a way for me to capture
> the time it takes teach Ajax request to respond?

No idea what you mean by these times. JMeter measures:

Time to first response = Latency
Time to full response = Response time

JMeter cannot execute AJAX code. However, if you can work out what the
code does, you can create samplers for it.

Or you can try recording the session using the JMeter proxy or Badboy.

Check the manual and the Wiki.