Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/09/03 15:41:23 UTC

Virtual list for forrest and lenya

Hello infrastructure team,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to create a virtual list for
forrest and lenya. Like described in

"If we make a virtual list (which I prefer) that posts mails on both
developer lists with added [lefo] in the subject, then each PMC will be
responsible for their dev list, as is now."
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112013695014297&w=2

Is such a virtual list possible? What can I do help to create this list?
I would be happy to help the infrastructure team, I just need some
instructions.

TIA for any information and tips

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Virtual list for forrest and lenya

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> Another thing is that we also want that certain parts of the lenya and
> forrest repository are sending commits mails to lefo-commits@apache.org
> which will be forwarded to svn@forrest.apache.org and
> commits@lenya.apache.org. This needs an upgrade of Subversion, but we
> can create this list as well now. ;-)

We have already investigated. We are happy to await the
next Subversion upgrade.

I don't think that we need an extra "commits" list for
this part. We just send to both existing "commits" lists
for Forrest and Lenya for that certain section of the repository.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112583283922120
"I investigated this. With the current Subversion
we can configure a certain portion of the repository
to send to only one mailing list.

(infrastructure-trunk/subversion/authorization/asf-mailer.conf).

Google found that someone recently contributed a
patch to enable sending to multiple lists. So when
someone upgrades Subversion we will be able to do so.
I suppose we just wait, because it is not urgent.

So when we define a part of either Forrest or Lenya
svn that needs to go to both of our commit@ lists."

-David

Re: Virtual list for forrest and lenya

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
First of all, thank you very much for the informations, Martin and
Leo. :)

To be honest I have no clue (yet ;-)) about ezmlm, qmail and apmail but
I am willing to learn. Please, review what I think we need to do.

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 17:00 +0200, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> Some tweaking with sublists can do the trick, although I actually never
> used sublists..
>
> http://www.ezmlm.org/faq/FAQ-14.html

I am not sure that is what we want.
"A sublist is a list that receives its input from another mailing list,
rather than from users directly. The sublist is just a regular
subscriber of the main list."

The last sentence is what we want but the "its input from another
mailing list, rather than from users directly" not exactly.

It should work like in the following scenario.

"subsciberName.at.domain.com sends mail to lefo.at.apache.org.

1) lefo.at.apache.org is subscribed to dev.at.forrest.apache.org and
dev.at.lenya.apache.org and posts (fowards) all mails to both list.
2) Ideally it will add [lefo] to the subject line.
3) The lefo list will set the reply-to header to itself, so that all
replies go to both lists again."

The input is invoked by a subscriber, rather then by one of the lists.
Maybe I am just not understanding the concept of sublist in ezmlm right
but like I stated before I am a total newbie.

Another thing is that we also want that certain parts of the lenya and
forrest repository are sending commits mails to lefo-commits@apache.org
which will be forwarded to svn@forrest.apache.org and
commits@lenya.apache.org. This needs an upgrade of Subversion, but we
can create this list as well now. ;-)

> Mvgr,
> Martin
>
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 03:41:23PM +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> >>Hello infrastructure team,
> >

> > Hi Thorsten!

> > We run ezmlm and qmail. Anything is possible. I have no idea how to do it, but I'm confident its possible. Roy Fielding
> > no doubt knows the arcane invocations needed by head; if you file a jira issue he'll get to it at some point, but I
> > believe he's been busy lately.

I will open an issue as soon I can come up with a possible solution.
Since he is busy anyway I may can help him out. ;-) Maybe even this mail
is such a solution. I hope you will tell me. ;-)

> >>What can I do help to create this list?
> >

> > Ehm, figure out the relevant ezmlm configuration options that would result in what you guys want. Ezmlm has a manual and
> > FAQ somewhere on the web, and we have additional notes on our e-mail configuration at
> >
> >   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/apmail/trunk/README
> >
> > actually what you need here is not a mailing list but rather a .qmail alias file with some trickery in it. Eg like we
> > have at
> >
> >   minotaur.apache.org:/var/qmail/alias/

Here is what I did/would have done (I did not have permissions for doing
it myself and I prefer that the infrastructure team gives green
lights). ;-)

I logged in to minotaur and 'cd /var/qmail/alias/'.
Then I 'cat .qmail-committers'. This file is responsible to mail all
committers at apache if somebody sends a mail to
committers.at.apache.org. It is doing this with a piped command.

I reckon the following commands would create the correct .qmail-lefo
and .qmail-lefo-commits:
echo "| /var/qmail/bin/forward lenya-dev forrest-dev">.qmail-lefo
echo "| /var/qmail/bin/forward lenya-commits
forrest-svn">.qmail-lefo-commits

That would be sufficient for 1), if I understood the above mentioned
README right:
"Yes, this also means that
    bar-foo@apache.org
is going to be the same as
    foo@bar.apache.org"

So I just tried further this beautiful README. I started with
> sudo -H -u apmail tcsh
Password:
thorsten is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.

Ok, I do not have permissions. ;-)

The command that I wanted to invoke afterward is (replace .at. with @):
/home/apmail/bin/makelist.roy.sh -m thorsten.at.apache.org lefo
lefo-commits

Following http://www.ezmlm.org/ezman/ezman3.html#ss3.7 "Adding a subject
prefix to messages" I would have then
"...just place the text in the file DIR/prefix." where the text would be
[lefo]. This would do 2) from the scenario.

The last step 3) I would have done with
http://www.ezmlm.org/faq/FAQ-9.html#ss9.8 "put ``reply-to'' into
DIR/headerremove, and ``Reply-To: list@host.dom'' into DIR/headeradd."

I reckon I forgot some things and would be happy if somebody can review
this steps. I hope I understood the rest more or less right.

> >>I would be happy to help the infrastructure team, I just need some
> >>instructions.
> >

> > Bonus points for attitude.

:) Cheers. Actually if the above written is right and you need help on
infra I would like to ask for permissions to do it myself and save your
time. You never know when I can help setting up a list again here on
infra. ;-)

> >>"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
> >>Hey you (Pink Floyd)
> >

> > +1!

:)

salu2

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
> [...]

prefix to messages" I would have then
"...just place the text in the file DIR/prefix." where the text would be
[lefo]. This would do 2) from the scenario.

The last step 3) I would have done with
http://www.ezmlm.org/faq/FAQ-9.html#ss9.8 "put ``reply-to'' into
DIR/headerremove, and ``Reply-To: list@host.dom'' into DIR/headeradd."

I reckon I forgot some things and would be happy if somebody can review
this steps. I hope I understood the rest more or less right.

> >>I would be happy to help the infrastructure team, I just need some
> >>instructions.
> >

> > Bonus points for attitude.

:) Cheers. Actually if the above written is right and you need help on
infra I would like to ask for permissions to do it myself and save your
time. You never know when I can help setting up a list again here on

:)

salu2

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 03:41:23PM +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hello infrastructure team,

Hi Thorsten!

> I would like to ask whether it is possible to create a virtual list for
> forrest and lenya. Like described in
>
> "If we make a virtual list (which I prefer) that posts mails on both
> developer lists with added [lefo] in the subject, then each PMC will be
> responsible for their dev list, as is now."
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112013695014297&w=2
>
> Is such a virtual list possible?

We run ezmlm and qmail. Anything is possible. I have no idea how to do it, but I'm confident its possible. Roy Fielding
no doubt knows the arcane invocations needed by head; if you file a jira issue he'll get to it at some point, but I
believe he's been busy lately.

> What can I do help to create this list?

Ehm, figure out the relevant ezmlm configuration options that would result in what you guys want. Ezmlm has a manual and
FAQ somewhere on the web, and we have additional notes on our e-mail configuration at

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/apmail/trunk/README

actually what you need here is not a mailing list but rather a .qmail alias file with some trickery in it. Eg like we
have at

  minotaur.apache.org:/var/qmail/alias/

> I would be happy to help the infrastructure team, I just need some
> instructions.

Bonus points for attitude.

> "Together we stand, divided we fall!"
> Hey you (Pink Floyd)

+1!

- Leo

Re: Virtual list for forrest and lenya

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 03:41:23PM +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hello infrastructure team,

Hi Thorsten!

> I would like to ask whether it is possible to create a virtual list for
> forrest and lenya. Like described in
>
> "If we make a virtual list (which I prefer) that posts mails on both
> developer lists with added [lefo] in the subject, then each PMC will be
> responsible for their dev list, as is now."
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112013695014297&w=2
>
> Is such a virtual list possible?

We run ezmlm and qmail. Anything is possible. I have no idea how to do it, but I'm confident its possible. Roy Fielding
no doubt knows the arcane invocations needed by head; if you file a jira issue he'll get to it at some point, but I
believe he's been busy lately.

> What can I do help to create this list?

Ehm, figure out the relevant ezmlm configuration options that would result in what you guys want. Ezmlm has a manual and
FAQ somewhere on the web, and we have additional notes on our e-mail configuration at

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/apmail/trunk/README

actually what you need here is not a mailing list but rather a .qmail alias file with some trickery in it. Eg like we
have at

  minotaur.apache.org:/var/qmail/alias/

> I would be happy to help the infrastructure team, I just need some
> instructions.

Bonus points for attitude.

> "Together we stand, divided we fall!"
> Hey you (Pink Floyd)