Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Michele Sciabarra <mi...@sciabarra.com> on 2020/10/24 09:21:04 UTC

Proposal: Adding Support for Juypter Notebooks

I implemented support for Jupyter Notebooks for a Python 3.8 runtime (that I temporarily published as actionloop/action-python-v3.8) as you can see here:

https://imgur.com/dTjj6UJ

It was easy as I leveraged the "compilation" script of Actionloop that is written in Python and also the nbconvert library that is also Python-based.

However since I believe this is a useful feature, and since Jupyter Notebooks are available for all the languages I was thinking to make it a standard feature of the Go Proxy (aka AcionLoop) so it is inherited by all the runtimes based on ActionLoop (Python, PHP, Rust, Go, and the flavors of Java and Node that uses it).

So what the community thinks? Is widespread support for Jupyter Notebook as a "source" format, that I detect and handle the init level and to extract the code from it, a worthy addition?

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

Re: Proposal: Adding Support for Juypter Notebooks

Posted by Michele Sciabarra <mi...@sciabarra.com>.
Thanks. Actually, I start discussing this idea around and supporting Jupiter notebook is the first step towards serverless for AI. I did a post on Linkedin and I found enthusiastic support about the idea. Serverless fits very well with AI, apparently.

The second step would be to be able to run action using a GPU for executing models.
This requires that we can "tag" some nodes to have a GPU attached and some runtimes to be executed only in those nodes.

Looks like in the community some work to tag actions to be run on GPU nodes had been already done so I asked them to submit the patch. Hopefully, it will be out soon otherwise I will try to do work on that too...

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

Posted by Dascalita Dragos <dd...@gmail.com>.