Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Mark Bean <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/03 01:57:49 UTC

initial component access policies

When NiFi is started for the first time, the Component Access Policies are
not populated even for the Initial Admin or for legacy DFM_ROLE users in
authorized-users.xml file.That is, not unless a flow.xml.gz file exists.
The fact that the admin user does not have access to these policies has led
to confusion for a great number of users.

I believe this came up before and an explanation was given that since the
flow.xml.gz does not yet exist (nor the root process group's UUID), the
Component Access Policies cannot be created. However, I have to believe
there is a mechanism that can be employed to return to policy generation
after the flow.xml.gz is created.

Can someone provide some pointers to where in the code I can look to see
where the Global Policies are initially created and/or where Component
Policies are created when migrating with an existing flow.xml.gz?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: initial component access policies

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
I remember trying to solve this a long time ago during the 1.0.0
development when the new authorizer API was implemented, but I
honestly can't remember all the issues. A lot of stuff has changed
since so maybe a fresh look is worth it.

StandardFlowService already has a member variable with the Authorizer,
you can see examples of where it uses it. If its a ManagedAuthorizer
then you can get access to the policy provider and see if its a
configurable one.

The only issue I see with this approach is that its putting the
decision to seed the policies into the framework, where as for the
other policies it is a decision of the policy provider so it is done
inside the file-based provider. Not sure if this is really an issue,
but we just need to consider all the scenarios.

Posted by Mark Bean <ma...@gmail.com>.
Bryan,

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
The initial admin policies are created here:

https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-file-authorizer/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/authorization/FileAccessPolicyProvider.java#L595 <https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-file-authorizer/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/authorization/FileAccessPolicyProvider.java#L595>