Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2007/05/28 13:17:02 UTC

Re: [HttpConn] proxy chains - complete for now

Hi all,

I've added proxy chain support to HttpRoute, RouteTracker,
and RouteDirector based on the recently posted assumptions.
That does _not_ mean we have support for proxy chains in
HttpClient now.

ThreadSafeClientConnManager can not handle proxy chains,
as routes with a proxy chain can not be converted to the
deprecated HostConfiguration. This problem will eventually
be solved when we rework the connection manager.

ManagedClientConnection can not handle proxy chains, as
it's API allows tunnelling only to the target host, not
to a proxy. I will consider fixing this at some time,
but not for client alpha 1. This can not be reasonably
implemented until TSCCM is free of HostConfiguration.

DefaultClientRequestDirector can not handle proxy chains,
as it depends on ManagedClientConnection. Once TSCCM and
MCC are updated, changing DCRD is painless.

The new functionality in HttpRoute and friends _can_ be
used in applications based on OperatedClientConnection.

I've tried to run the examples ClientExecuteDirect and
ClientExecuteProxy. The latter obtained a status 400,
and my proxy log shows:
     client sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname
This may be a problem in DefaultClientRequestDirector
when building the CONNECT request. If still necessary
by then, I'll investigate next week-end.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpConn] proxy chains - complete for now

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 20:03 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > Great! Could you please hold off any other major refactoring jobs until
> > post ALPHA1 time frame, though?
>
> Proxy chains and param defaults were the only things on
> my list for client alpha 1. I hope I can scale back my
> efforts again. The baseline remains at one or two hours
> a week for HttpConn tests. It's been a bit more lately.
>
> > I would like to complete all outstanding
> > tasks targeted for HttpCore 4.0-beta5 by mid June and release HttpClient
> > 4.0-alpha1 shortly after.
>
> Are you going to release the two alphas simultaneously,
> or do you want to give the core release a head start?

I would like to have them released pretty much simultaneously.
HttpClient ALPHA1 is the only reason to rush HttpCore ALPHA5

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 13:17 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've added proxy chain support to HttpRoute, RouteTracker,
> and RouteDirector based on the recently posted assumptions.
> That does _not_ mean we have support for proxy chains in
> HttpClient now.
>
> ThreadSafeClientConnManager can not handle proxy chains,
> as routes with a proxy chain can not be converted to the
> deprecated HostConfiguration. This problem will eventually
> be solved when we rework the connection manager.
>
> ManagedClientConnection can not handle proxy chains, as
> it's API allows tunnelling only to the target host, not
> to a proxy. I will consider fixing this at some time,
> but not for client alpha 1. This can not be reasonably
> implemented until TSCCM is free of HostConfiguration.

Hi Roland

Great! Could you please hold off any other major refactoring jobs until
post ALPHA1 time frame, though? I would like to complete all outstanding
tasks targeted for HttpCore 4.0-beta5 by mid June and release HttpClient
4.0-alpha1 shortly after.

> DefaultClientRequestDirector can not handle proxy chains,
> as it depends on ManagedClientConnection. Once TSCCM and
> MCC are updated, changing DCRD is painless.
>
> The new functionality in HttpRoute and friends _can_ be
> used in applications based on OperatedClientConnection.
>

> I've tried to run the examples ClientExecuteDirect and
> ClientExecuteProxy. The latter obtained a status 400,
> and my proxy log shows:
>      client sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname
> This may be a problem in DefaultClientRequestDirector
> when building the CONNECT request. If still necessary
> by then, I'll investigate next week-end.

Fixed.

Oleg