Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/27 00:36:38 UTC

extensions and translations.

While doing an update to the l10n workflow I think I found a slight problem.

Extensions offers the capability to integrate/extend our UI.

Assuming somebody writes an extension, and publishes it on
http://www.openoffice.org/extensions/ how does that get integrated into the
translation process ?

As far as I can see the sources are not integrated into our "build --all
--with-lang".

If I am right that they are not part of the general translation, then is
that per design so or should it be different ?

I might be following a wrong track here, but please forgive me for trying
to make the l10n process as complete as I can.

rgds
Jan I.

Re: extensions and translations.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 agree....

how can we get it operational, we already have a swext directory,
containing wiki publisher, should we encourage people to use that, or do we
want to some kind of filter approach, to what is standard extensions ?

Jan.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: extensions and translations.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
jan iversen wrote:
> On 1 November 2012 22:21, Rob Weir wrote:
>> 2) An extension that is developed and released by the project, and
>> published in the extension repository.
> This is the current standard and should not be changed. the add on is
> optional

Indeed.

> and not to forget, the possibility of getting the UI translated and
> available all over the world.

In general this discussion is probably making too many assumptions on
the extensions authors. Those who wanted translatable extensions had a
sort of framework to put string in PO files (which I never used and
which I remember very vaguely, but it only worked for StarBasic); and as
far as I know it was very rarely used. In general, remember that an
extension can be written in any language, including no language (there
is plenty of non-code extensions
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Non-code_extensions ); so extracting
strings or enforcing coherence will work optimally only for extensions
that are developed by the project.

> Can we collect statistics about which extensions is installed how often ?

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/most_popular
The "timeline" gives you all details.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: extensions and translations.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
see below please.

On 1 November 2012 22:21, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM, jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Can "standard" loosely be defined as an extension:
> > - is developed by people who have signed ICLA
> > - uses the apache license header in the source files
> > - is of interest to the general public in different countries
> > - is willing to let the source be controlled/reviewed by committer.
> > - accept a vote by the committers to be accepted
> >
> > If those points are fuillfilled we could add the project to "swext", and
> > then it would automatically be integrated in the build and l10n process.
> >
> > Please help me out here, I am not sure if that is enough for the "apache
> > way".
> >

> There are probably two degrees of "standard" or "official" extensions.
>
> 1) An extension that is released with our binaries, e.g., it is
> available "out-of-the-box", either automatically installed, or
> available as an option in the installer.

That would be things like "wiki publisher" in swext, that still have the
sun license and not the apache license.

But that what actually what I was thinking about, and of course these
extension MUST be part of the apache demands.

We might include include in the setup package, but it should not be
automatically installed, if that was the case the end-user would see it as
an integrated part, and not an add-on. We should not take responsibility
for the extension, but simply offer it.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11/02/2012 02:02 PM, schrieb Andre Fischer:
> On 02.11.2012 12:09, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> Am 11/01/2012 10:07 PM, schrieb jan iversen:
>>> Can "standard" loosely be defined as an extension:
>>> - is developed by people who have signed ICLA
>>> - uses the apache license header in the source files
>>
>> It's indeed important but IMHO this shouldn't be part of the decision
>> to draw the standard as it's about formal and general things.
>>
>>> - is of interest to the general public in different countries
>>
>> Absolute.
>>
>>> - is willing to let the source be controlled/reviewed by committer.
>>
>> With the possibility to become a committer later-on.
>>
>>> - accept a vote by the committers to be accepted
>>
>> If a code grant is necessary depends maybe a bit on the amount of the
>> extension source code.
>>
>>> If those points are fuillfilled we could add the project to "swext", and
>>> then it would automatically be integrated in the build and l10n process.
>
> I think that is up to the author of an extension to put it in the AOO
> source repository.
> It is up to the community to decide whether to include it in a release.
>

>> Is "swext" only for extension around AOO Writer or general? If for
>> Writer then it should be located in a different, own directory within
>> the source code.
>
> Only for Writer.
>
> I know of at least three directories for extensions:
>
> swext/
> sdext/
> extensions/
>
> I created sdext myself, back in the days.
> I think we should join the three directories, with extensions/ being the
> natural candidate to remain.

+1

Then there is only one location where to search for extensions. Should
it make more simple in the future, also for new joiners.

Marcus

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11/02/2012 01:00 PM, schrieb jan iversen:
> +1 to your ideas, much better formulated than mine.
>
> see below for comments.
>
> Jan
>
> On 2 November 2012 12:09, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>
>> Am 11/01/2012 10:07 PM, schrieb jan iversen:
>>
>>   Can "standard" loosely be defined as an extension:
>>> - is developed by people who have signed ICLA
>>> - uses the apache license header in the source files
>>>

>> It's indeed important but IMHO this shouldn't be part of the decision to
>> draw the standard as it's about formal and general things.
>>

>>   - is of interest to the general public in different countries
>>>

>> Absolute.
>>

>>   - is willing to let the source be controlled/reviewed by committer.
>>>

>> With the possibility to become a committer later-on.
>>

>>   - accept a vote by the committers to be accepted
>>>

>> If a code grant is necessary depends maybe a bit on the amount of the
>> extension source code.
>
> +1, but having the option of a vote is not bad...I did not want to write
> "accept that a committer can veto the change".
>

>>   If those points are fuillfilled we could add the project to "swext", and
>>> then it would automatically be integrated in the build and l10n process.
>>>

>> Is "swext" only for extension around AOO Writer or general? If for Writer
>> then it should be located in a different, own directory within the source
>> code.
>
> At least Wiki publisher attaches only to writer. What do you mean "within
> the source code", is main/swext not within ?

It is, but I meant "somewhere else in the code structure".

Maybe it's good to put all extension into an own structure. But I don't
know the build system and talking maybe nuts. ;-)

>>   Please help me out here, I am not sure if that is enough for the "apache
>>> way".
>>>

>> I would suggest to define the standard around some factors. Some thoughts:
>>
>> - What is the benefit for AOO?
>>
> This might be a bit problematic, who is to judge it.

The community. When we want some extensions to be put into the AOO
installer then we have to decide which ones. Of course this should be
done with objective facts and not with thumbs up/down or something else.

If it's implementing a beautiful sidepane where some elements like
navigator, stylist, etc. can be placed then it would be candidate #1.

If it's just adding a menu point to change all TOC items into a
clickable link then this is not enough.

Just to define 2 extremes.

>> - Is this helful for the general public or only for specific users?
>>
> +1
>
>> - Does it exchange existing functionality with something own?
>>
> +1
>
>> - What are the usage numbers / review comments look like?
>>
> If I understand it correct, you see the extension first in the usual
> extensions place, and then it can "grow" into AOO ?

Right.

> Would there not be cases, where it was developed directly within AOO.

Then it would be already within AOO.
There are a few exceptions like the MySQL connector which has still a
GPL license and therefore has to stay outside.

>> - How big is the extension (keep in mind we shouldn't blow-up our software
>> too excessive).
>>
> Is that not more a problem of release packaging ?

Hm, not really. I assume that the extension will bring in new code and
not mostly redundant code. You will come to a point where you cannot get
more optimazations without to put too much effort into it.

I'm not sure but you should see already a difference in size when
comiling AOO with the extisting extensions (like the Wiki publisher) and
then without any.

> We could put the extensions in an own installation, like language packs.

Yes, some "Best of AOO extensions" compilations would be a nice idea.

>> - Don't install the extension by default but let the user decide what they
>> want, then make 1-3 wizard pages in the installer only for installing
>> extensions
>>
> +1
>

>> Of course this can only work if the extension developer is willing to come
>> into the AOO project with all the things needed (source grant, signed ICLA,
>> header change, voting for releases, etc.).
>>
> +1 that is important, extensions integrated in the source must obey the
> same rules as all other source code.

Thanks for your further comments. When we (all of us) can find some more
and come to an agreement, we can setup a definition how to get more
extensions into AOO and their developers into our project.

Marcus

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 to your ideas, much better formulated than mine.

see below for comments.

Jan

On 2 November 2012 12:09, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 11/01/2012 10:07 PM, schrieb jan iversen:
>
>  Can "standard" loosely be defined as an extension:
>> - is developed by people who have signed ICLA
>> - uses the apache license header in the source files
>>

> It's indeed important but IMHO this shouldn't be part of the decision to
> draw the standard as it's about formal and general things.
>

>  - is of interest to the general public in different countries
>>

> Absolute.
>

>  - is willing to let the source be controlled/reviewed by committer.
>>

> With the possibility to become a committer later-on.
>

>  - accept a vote by the committers to be accepted
>>

> If a code grant is necessary depends maybe a bit on the amount of the
> extension source code.

+1, but having the option of a vote is not bad...I did not want to write
"accept that a committer can veto the change".

>  If those points are fuillfilled we could add the project to "swext", and
>> then it would automatically be integrated in the build and l10n process.
>>

> Is "swext" only for extension around AOO Writer or general? If for Writer
> then it should be located in a different, own directory within the source
> code.

At least Wiki publisher attaches only to writer. What do you mean "within
the source code", is main/swext not within ?

>  Please help me out here, I am not sure if that is enough for the "apache
>> way".
>>

> I would suggest to define the standard around some factors. Some thoughts:
>
> - What is the benefit for AOO?

This might be a bit problematic, who is to judge it.

> - Is this helful for the general public or only for specific users?

+1

> - Does it exchange existing functionality with something own?

+1

> - What are the usage numbers / review comments look like?

If I understand it correct, you see the extension first in the usual
extensions place, and then it can "grow" into AOO ?
Would there not be cases, where it was developed directly within AOO.

> - How big is the extension (keep in mind we shouldn't blow-up our software
> too excessive).

Is that not more a problem of release packaging ?
We could put the extensions in an own installation, like language packs.

> - Don't install the extension by default but let the user decide what they
> want, then make 1-3 wizard pages in the installer only for installing
> extensions

+1

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11/01/2012 01:17 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Jürgen Schmidt<jo...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Of course it would be to our advantage; or let's say for the project and
>>> software. A lot of extensions would be available in many languages.
>>>
>>> However, I don't know where we should draw the line to set a limit. When
>>> we select here and there some extensions, then the other developers will
>>> ask why not their extensions.
>>
>> It's quite simple I would say, if people want develop extensions under
>> ALv2 and want to contribute the code to the project. We can easy create
>> a special section in our repo where we can host them.
>>
>> But this means they have to be handled in the same way as all other
>> stuff here. Means a new release have to be voted...
>>

> +1
>
> I think the important thing is this:  We don't just want code.  We
> want communities.  So if an extension author thinks that their
> extension is generally useful and he/she wants to join the AOO
> community and work on the extension here, and allow others to work on
> it as well, then this is good.

Of course, +1.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Got it, as Marcus explained, this is  not a path to follow, but now I can
write in my document that is has been discussed.

jan

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
I agree with you, we should NOT put a new framework on extensions writer.

I was thinking along the lines of

make a new directory ./extras/extensions/source, with files <extension
name>.<known extension>

The extension writer must submit the file (we do not collect them) through
a committer.

This directory would then go into the normal l10n workflow, and the
resulting translation would go back into the same directory as <extension
name>.<langugage>.po

jan.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/27/2012 03:53 AM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 01:17:33AM +0200, jan iversen wrote:
>> I see, I have to get used to this license issues (a long time ago I
>> believed open source was just open source, then I joined an apache project).
>
> It has nothing to do with licensing. Even if the extension code and all
> its dependencies are under the ALv2, why should OpenOffice include
> extensions by default in the install set? This goes against the concept
> of an extension.
>
> The fact that now there are three supported extensions is just
> a question of old Sun/Oracle decisions to release these as extension and
> not integrated as part of the application.
>

>> never mind.
>>
>> Would it be to our advantage if we offered third party developers (that is
>> how I see extension developers) the possibility to register a language file
>> and get it translated as part of the language packs ?
>
> This will break several concepts and things. Mainly extension developers
> have complete freedom about when to release updates, how to integrate
> translation in their extensions (use the configuration API and XCU
> files, use the resource API and Java-property-like files, etc.), most
> important what license to choose, etc.

Right. Then they are no longer independent from their own release plan
as they may would like to be.

Furthermore, I don't know how many extensions Sourceforge is hosting but
it could hundreads if not thousands. Lets assume 10% of them will say
"yes AOO, please translate the strings for me" then we have a lot more
to do. And who should verify the translations? If we, then we have to
install these hundreads/thousands extensions to see how it's working. If
the developer, then do we get feedback in time? What about errors, are
we able to fix them in time?

I think you can see now that the extension development has it own small
but fine ecosystem. It doesn't fit into the AOO release process and IMHO
this was never the idea.

However, thanks for making these thoughts. :-)

Marcus

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/27/2012 12:36 AM, schrieb jan iversen:
> While doing an update to the l10n workflow I think I found a slight problem.
>
> Extensions offers the capability to integrate/extend our UI.
>
> Assuming somebody writes an extension, and publishes it on
> http://www.openoffice.org/extensions/ how does that get integrated into the
> translation process ?

Simply, not at all.

> As far as I can see the sources are not integrated into our "build --all
> --with-lang".

Right.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 12:36:38AM +0200, jan iversen wrote:
> While doing an update to the l10n workflow I think I found a slight problem.
>
> Extensions offers the capability to integrate/extend our UI.
>
> Assuming somebody writes an extension, and publishes it on
> http://www.openoffice.org/extensions/ how does that get integrated into the
> translation process ?

They don't. They don't belong to OpenOffice source tree. Only the
Presenter Screen, the Presentation Minimizer and the Wiki Publisher are
the currently supported extensions by this Apache project (even though
the versions you find in the extensions site are rather old, the Wiki
Publisher has Sun's name in it!).

The source code for these extensions is located in main/sdext and
main/swext.

The Report Builder (main/reportbuilder), the MySQL SDBC driver
(main/mysqlc) and the PDF Import (main/sdext) extensions are in the
source tree but they can't be released by this Apache Project due to
license conflict in its dependencies. The extension code is under the
ALv2, but the dependencies are copy-left.

All other extensions in the extension site are third party extensions,
with all kind of licenses, and are unrelated to the Apache OpenOffice
project.

> As far as I can see the sources are not integrated into our "build --all
> --with-lang".

Because they are third party extensions.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina