Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eugene Luzgin <el...@hotmail.com> on 2008/05/13 19:43:24 UTC

FW: can't create directory '/usr/local/svnrepos...'

I was struggling for a longest time with the following error message: svn: Commit failed (details follow): svn: Can't create directory '/usr/local/svnrepos/db/transactions/1-1.txn': Permission denied  I had SVN installed on RHEL4.I set ownership and permissions on SVN repository for apache user correctly and yet I was still getting permission error.
I was browsing Internet but coudn't find the solution of my problem. Then I accidently stumbled on the source of my problem:It was SELinux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_LinuxSELinux is enabled by default on RHEL4 and denies access for apache daemon to file system. Disabling SELinux removed my problem: echo 0 >/selinux/enforceSee http://www.crypt.gen.nz/selinux/disable_selinux.html for more information. Hope this information will save time and headache for other people. Regards,-Eugene LuzginConsultant at AtexSoft ( http://www.atexsoft.com )

Get Free (PRODUCT) REDâ„¢ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it out!
Get Free (PRODUCT) REDâ„¢  Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.

Re: can't create directory '/usr/local/svnrepos...'

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 13, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Eugene Luzgin wrote:

> I was struggling for a longest time with the following error message:
>
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Can't create directory '/usr/local/svnrepos/db/transactions/
> 1-1.txn':
> Permission denied
>
> I had SVN installed on RHEL4.
> I set ownership and permissions on SVN repository for apache user
> correctly and yet I was still getting permission error.
> I was browsing Internet but coudn't find the solution of my
> problem. Then I accidently stumbled on the source of my problem:
> It was SELinux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux
> SELinux is enabled by default on RHEL4 and denies access for apache
> daemon to file system.
>
> Disabling SELinux removed my problem: echo 0 >/selinux/enforce
> See http://www.crypt.gen.nz/selinux/disable_selinux.html for more
> information.
>
> Hope this information will save time and headache for other people.

How to set up your repository permissions correctly, including
allowing access when SELinux is enabled, is documented in the FAQ:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#reposperms