Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by St...@faa.gov on 2014/05/06 14:09:47 UTC

CXF STS UseKey value

In my STS implementation, my RST messages are expected to contain a UseKey
element with an X.509 certificate, something like this:

<UseKey>
  <ds:KeyInfo>
    <ds:X509Data>
      <ds:X509Certificate>some-encoded-cert</ds:X509Certificate>
    </ds:X509Data>
  </ds:KeyInfo>
</UseKey>

This works fine, mostly. But it will does not work if the certificate is
provided as a BinarySecurityToken, e.g.,

<UseKey>
  <wsse:BinarySecurityToken EncodingType="..."
ValueType="...">some-encoded-cert</wsse:BinarySecurityToken>
</UseKey>

It's the same info either way, but I had thought that UseKey should accept
a BST. Is this an issue with the STS, or an issue with my understanding?

Thanx,

Stephen W. Chappell

Re: CXF STS UseKey value

Posted by St...@faa.gov.
No, not at all. It's not an issue for me either way, I mainly wanted to
confirm or correct my thinking on the matter.

Thanx,

Stephen W. Chappell

From:   Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>
        ANG-B31, Information Security Branch
To:     "users@cxf.apache.org" <us...@cxf.apache.org>,
Date:   05/06/2014 09:35 AM
Subject:        Re: CXF STS UseKey value

The CXF STS will accept either a KeyInfo/X509Data or a
wsse:SecurityTokenReference (possibly to a BinarySecurityToken in the
security header of the request). Technically, the UseKey element could
also
contain a BinarySecurityToken, however I've neither seen this before nor
have heard of a valid reason for supporting it. Do you have a compelling
reason to use a BinarySecurityToken here?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder