Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Austin, Richard (Fort Collins)" <ri...@hpe.com> on 2016/10/17 19:50:45 UTC

Country of Origin of various ASF projects

Good afternoon,

I am trying to determine the Country of Origin of a lengthy list of Apache open-source projects, in order to determine whether they are in compliance with the U. S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA).  (Some of our customers require this.)  TAA defines the Country of Origin as the country where the software is built--where final compilation occurs.  There is a LONG list of countries that are TAA-approved.

One person at human-response@apache.org<ma...@apache.org> noted that each project is generally compiled on the local machine of the Release Manager for that specific version and then uploaded.  While I can contact each project separately to ask about the build country, I was advised that it might be worth checking with Apache Legal Affairs, in case a compilation of this information already exists.  (It seems very likely that other groups needing TAA compliance would have already been asking Apache about this.)

Do you know of any centralized source of Country of Origin information for Apache projects?  Note that we are only looking for the country or countries--we do NOT need information on specific servers, cities, or states.

Thanks very much for any information--or pointers to others who may have relevant information.

Regards,
  Richard Austin
  Software Development Engineer
  Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Re: Country of Origin of various ASF projects

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
The ASF releases source code, not final-compiled artifacts. Some projects
do also allow for convenience binaries to be released and available for
download, but they are not the official releases of the project nor the
foundation: just the source code is.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Austin, Richard (Fort Collins)
<ri...@hpe.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>

> I am trying to determine the Country of Origin of a lengthy list of Apache
> open-source projects, in order to determine whether they are in compliance
> with the U. S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA).  (Some of our customers require
> this.)  TAA defines the Country of Origin as the country where the software
> is built--where final compilation occurs.  There is a LONG list of countries
> that are TAA-approved.
>

> One person at human-response@apache.org noted that each project is generally
> compiled on the local machine of the Release Manager for that specific
> version and then uploaded.  While I can contact each project separately to
> ask about the build country, I was advised that it might be worth checking
> with Apache Legal Affairs, in case a compilation of this information already
> exists.  (It seems very likely that other groups needing TAA compliance
> would have already been asking Apache about this.)

I think it would be useful to state the very fundamental assumption
that ASF has:
legally speaking ASF is NOT in a business of releasing fully integrated (read
compiled, linked and packaged) but rather in a business of releasing source
code for our projects. Hence the only artifact that we're in business
of distributing
officially has a country of origin within US (since all of our source
code management
infrastructure currently resides in US).

While it is true that projects are within their right to distribute
'binary convenience
artifacts' those are handled on a project-by-project basis with the only basic
assumption that whatever gets released has to be explicitly vetted by
the project's
PMC during the normal release vote.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Country of Origin of various ASF projects

Posted by Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
> On Oct 17, 2016, at 3:28 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> And what are the rules if I compiled the code on a VM in the cloud?  Does
> it matter where that VM is running?
>
> Seems like folks who need TAA compliance should always work from source
> packages and compile it themselves.

+1

Apache deals in open *source*.

Convenience binaries can be built by anyone, anywhere there is a computer with an internet connection or a postal address where a tape (!) containing sources can be delivered.

Craig

> -Alex
>
> On 10/17/16, 2:15 PM, "sebb" <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Note also that each individual release may have a different release
>> manager who may reside in a different country.
>> And of course people may change their country of residence.
>>
>> On 17 October 2016 at 21:00, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net> wrote:
>>> Why can’t you or someone at your company rebuild within the US (or
>>> anywhere
>>> else appropriate) so that this compliance is guaranteed? It is generally
>>> expected that someone else successfully building will build the same
>>> artefact, even if differences such as modification date of binary files
>>> may
>>> exist. E.g. version numbers are the same.
>>>
>>> paul
>>>

>>> On 17 Oct 2016, at 21:50, Austin, Richard (Fort Collins)
>>> <ri...@hpe.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Good afternoon,
>>>
>>> I am trying to determine the Country of Origin of a lengthy list of
>>> Apache
>>> open-source projects, in order to determine whether they are in
>>> compliance
>>> with the U. S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA).  (Some of our customers
>>> require
>>> this.)  TAA defines the Country of Origin as the country where the
>>> software
>>> is built--where final compilation occurs.  There is a LONG list of
>>> countries
>>> that are TAA-approved.
>>>
>>> One person at human-response@apache.org noted that each project is
>>> generally
>>> compiled on the local machine of the Release Manager for that specific
>>> version and then uploaded.  While I can contact each project separately
>>> ask about the build country, I was advised that it might be worth
>>> checking
>>> with Apache Legal Affairs, in case a compilation of this information
>>> already
>>> exists.  (It seems very likely that other groups needing TAA compliance
>>> would have already been asking Apache about this.)
>>>
>>> Do you know of any centralized source of Country of Origin information
>>> for
>>> Apache projects?  Note that we are only looking for the country or
>>> countries--we do NOT need information on specific servers, cities, or
>>> states.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much for any information--or pointers to others who may have
>>> relevant information.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>  Richard Austin
>>>  Software Development Engineer
>>>  Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Country of Origin of various ASF projects

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Convenience binaries [Was: Country of Origin of various ASF projects]

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
I am trying to understand the implications of all this for convenience
binaries for a project that uses the excellent Apache HttpClient as a
dependency but has no crypto software itself.

The project produces convenience binaries: zip file including all
dependencies and combined shaded uber jars which includes all
dependencies.  The project also uses maven for distribution of built
artifacts.

The source-release does not include HttpClient so there is nothing to do
for the formal release product.

There are 3 channels for the binaries where ASF is first point at which
the binaries are accessible.

archive.a.o, repository.a.o/snapshots and repository.a.o/releases.

(To me, it looks like the maven repo as publication channel is no
different from archive.a.o, except that "snapshots" get published there
and while primarily for the developers, they are publicly accessible.)

Registration:

A/ The project should register the binaries.

B/ The project should not point to the git repo (no crpyto there).

C/ All 3 channels (archive.a.o and 2 maven repos) are ControlledSource.

READMEs:

C/ The README in the source-release does not include a crypto notice.

D/ The binaries (zip and combined jar maven artifacts) include a README
with a crypto notice.

	Andy

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 October 2016 at 01:54, Wheeler, David A <dw...@ida.org> wrote:
> All - thanks for the insight.  I particularly appreciated the answer by Stian Soiland-Reyes on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 04:19.
>
> However - can this *please* be documented somewhere in a public FAQ?

+1

> I recommend that <http://www.apache.org/dev/release> be modified to specifically answer this question, so that others can get the same answer.  I've cobbled up a draft, below, which is basically a reformat of the answer by Stian Soiland-Reyes.
>
> Who should this be sent to?
>
> --- David A. Wheeler

> Proposed addition to <http://www.apache.org/dev/release> - add to the end of "Release Licensing Questions":
>
> Q: What is the "Country of Origin" for purposes of the U.S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA) and similar acts?
>
> Some country's laws involve the "country of origin".  For example, the U. S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA) imposes laws involving the "country of origin", and it defines the Country of Origin as the country where the software is built-(where final compilation occurs).

OK.

> The ASF only consider the source release the release.  This is what should be used by downstream consumers who need to check Country of Origin or in other ways want to be sure of what exact code they are using.  Source releases are acts of the Foundation.

The above para does not read well to me. Also not sure the 3rd
sentence is needed here.

> Many ASF projects also provide binary "convenience" artifacts, aka "convenience binaries".  These include  the JARs in Maven Central, which Java developers generally use as-is.  Some of these are also distributed by ASF as an organization, and even promoted and hosted by ASF (via ASF mirrors).

"Some of these" is ambiguous - does it refer to JARs in Maven Central
or convenience binaries?
[In theory "these" refers to the nearest possible objects, but I
suspect that is not the case here]

> However, "convenience binaries" are built by the individual release managers (who may vary per release), who would live in different locations (possibly temporarily residing in a different location at the time of preparing a release), and who may be using build infrastructure in a third location (in particular building Maven projects would commonly rely on Maven Central and artifacts that themselves have mixed origin).  As such, it is difficult to define a single Country of Origin for binary releases.  Consumers who need to consider Country of Origin should only use the source releases, verified by their PGP signatures, and build it on their own infrastructure.

"it is difficult" => 'it is not generally possible"

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Thanks! Hope you are able to re-shape my late-night ramblings..

There's also the partially overlapping
https://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ - although Country of Origin
applies also to non-encryption software.

Any Apache committer can suggest an update using the CMS system at
https://cms.apache.org/www/ and navigating to the corresponding
folder. Suggest your patch on dev@community as it would be part of the
policy document.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

RE: Country of Origin of various ASF projects

Posted by "Austin, Richard (Fort Collins)" <ri...@hpe.com>.
Many thanks to all of you who have responded to my question--you have been prompt and unambiguous.  :)  Your answers are much appreciated!

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 October 2016 at 01:53, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:30 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Releases are acts of the Foundation, due to our PMCs voting on them,
>> > so I don't think the release manager has any impact on this.
>>
>> I was responding to the statement in the original e-mail which said:
>>
>> "TAA defines the Country of Origin as the country where the software
>> is built--where final compilation occurs"
>>
>> However as others have pointed out, the ASF releases source, so the
>> question is largely moot.
>

> Moot is not exactly the right word (events have not placed the issue beyond
> the law).  Better would be "irrelevant".

This is getting off-topic, but moot in the UK generally means
irrelevant, as per the second meaning in your link.

"of little or no practical value, meaning, or relevance; purely academic: "

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Moot <http://www.dictionary.com/browse/moot> is not exactly the right word

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.