Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ahmet dalli <la...@yahoo.com> on 2002/07/04 16:47:36 UTC

Connection to 8.1.7 Database Fails With JDBC/OCI8 Driver: UnsatisfiedLinkError

Hi,

I tried to connect to an Oracle8i(8.1.7.0.0) database
from a servlet using OCI Driver(8.1.7.1 for JDK 1.2).
A ServletException was thrown with a root cause of
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: get_env_handle.

The same program runs without an error using thin
driver. I have Oracle8i client installed and i have
the ocijdbc8.dll in my PATH environment variable.
classes12.zip(renamed as classes12.jar for Tomcat) is
in %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext. Database server is up
and running, i have confirmed that ocijdbc8.dll could
be loaded by a test program using
"System.loadLibrary("ocijdbc8");".

My platform : Windows2000 version5.0(Service Pack 2),
Oracle8i Client; Apache2.0.39 Web Server, Tomcat4.0.4
Servlet/JSP Container, J2SDK1.4.0, Oracle8i 8.1.7.1
JDBC/OCI Driver

Here is the code snippet that throws an exception
while trying to get a connection:
DriverManager.registerDriver(new
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());
conn =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:oci8:@my_database","username","password");

I know that this version of OCI driver is for use with
JDK1.2, but what i try to do is a simple connect not
requiring any JDK1.4 features. So does this may be the
source of problem?

As far as i know, Oracle9i 9.2.0.1 JDBC/OCI Driver
supports jdk1.4. So, in order to be able to use
jdk1.4; I have to install Oracle9i Client for use
with OCI driver, I have to download Oracle9.2.01
JDBC/OCI driver with the necessary dll's, right?

What's more important is that; Will i be able to
connect to a Oracle8i(8.1.7) database?

Any suggestion/help will be appreciated....