Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/03/25 03:25:03 UTC

1.6 to be the last release to support Java 1.6?

Hey guys,

I've brought this topic up before without much positive response.  I figure
I'll bring it up again.

I'd like to propose that DeltaSpike 1.6 be the last minor release to
support Java 1.6.  I suspect that most users are already using Java 7 or
higher.  None of our builds in CI (builds.apache.org) currently run on 1.6
either, so while we can say from a syntax standpoint we're 1.6 compliant
I'm not sure we can say from a JDK Library standpoint we don't rely on
anything from Java 7.

We're one of the few projects that probably still supports Java 6 as a
mainline development, so I was hoping we could just cut 1.6 as 1.6
compliant, if we need to cut patch releases of 1.6 to apply patches, but
with DeltaSpike 1.7 and on, focus on Java 7 and up.

John

Re: 1.6 to be the last release to support Java 1.6?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+0

j6 is EOL so shouldn't really be used anymore and didnt use it since
months but excepted multi catch feature j7 will not help us a lot I
think  - that's for dev side. For CI side I think it can make sense to
get rid of the j6 constraint but I don't know if that's really a
constraint for us.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Github | LinkedIn | Tomitriber

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
i agree with thomas

regards,
gerhard

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
+1

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Marcelo Souza Vieira <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Harald Wellmann <hw...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Christian Kaltepoth <ch...@kaltepoth.de>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Cunha <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 :)

--
Daniel Cunha
https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: 1.6 to be the last release to support Java 1.6?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
All,

Posted by Harald Wellmann <hw...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
basically +1

[RESULT] 1.6 to be the last release to support Java 1.6?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hey guys, thanks for those who considered this change.

I'm considering the vote as passed, with +1's from Thomas Andraschko,
Harald Wellmann, Daniel Cunha, Christian Kaltepoth, Jason Porter, Marcelo
Souza Vieira, Rudy De Busscher and Mark Struberg

A +0 was received by Romain Manni-Bucau
An unclear vote from Gerhard Petracek (e.g. no +1/+0/-0/-1)

I've published the news to our website.  Once we wrap up 1.6.0 I'll start a
discussion around how/when to move master over to 1.7.

John