Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/09/13 18:21:22 UTC

Servlet 3.0 and Common Javaflow

Hi all,

I read that Servlet 3.0 will probably support pause/resume methods and I
read that Jetty 7 preview already rewrote its continuations support to
expose "standard" servlet 3.0 services.

Is there any plan to support this in tomcat?

Do you know that ASF host a cool generic continuation library?
Commons Javaflow (http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/javaflow/)

I'm just spreading the word, because I thought javaflow is interesting
for supporting servlet 3.0 and I would be happy to see some community
built around this cool library.

Stefano

Re: Servlet 3.0 and Common Javaflow

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
hi Stefano,

Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I read that Servlet 3.0 will probably support pause/resume methods and
> I read that Jetty 7 preview already rewrote its continuations support
> to expose "standard" servlet 3.0 services.
>
> Is there any plan to support this in tomcat?
the servlet 3.0 has not yet come to a conclusion on what type of
asynchronous  behavior to expose.

> Do you know that ASF host a cool generic continuation library?
> Commons Javaflow (http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/javaflow/)
yes, I've explored it in the past for the exact same reason. From a
performance standpoint, instrumenting every possible class, it not that
great of an idea. In Tomcat 6, with Comet, we already have this behavior
without any bytecode instrumentation

> I'm just spreading the word, because I thought javaflow is interesting
> for supporting servlet 3.0 and I would be happy to see some community
> built around this cool library.
>
> Stefano

Filip