Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2004/04/12 16:07:29 UTC

Summation of Results

To be honest, the results were very mixed.  I would say that there is
just as equal a push to try to work Fortress into the plan here in
Avalon as well as to host the code outside with the two most likely
places to host being D-Haven.org or Codehaus.

There is no real clear solution to the problem, and it seems that there
will likely be little to stop a fork.  Why? because the atmosphere is
very adversarial here.  People are tired of butting heads with Stephen,
so the community looses.

Am I the author of the fork?  I'll never tell.  I will say this, GUIApp
depends on Fortress for the time being and I am not thrilled with the
way that this community wants to take Fortress.  So I will use the
forked version.

There probably won't be an announcement here for when it happens, but it
will happen.  I am tired of having the intent or content of my email
tainted or changed by Stephen, as has been done with the opinion poll I
asked for.  So I will see you later.  Anything I need from the Avalon
codebase will be forked as well.  I wish you the best.

Re: Summation of Results

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
I took a look at all of the responses, sorted them, rationalized and
normalized the replies, and found that 73% of responses are in favor of
Fortress staying in Avalon with maintenance.  Digging further into the
numbers - we see something interesting that IMO goes much further into
the why of the above question.  If we look at the responses that ranked
the topic "Enable migration to the single avalon platform" we see 83%
asserting the subject as the top priority.  Another significant point
underlying this is multiple people stepped up and said they would be
ready to support both maintenance and migration.

Key things for me that came out of the thread were the following:

  1. the need to provide binary support for existing ECM and
     Fortress styled components under the avalon runtime
     platform

  2. the need for functional equivalence for selector semantics
     under the avalon runtime platform

  3. the need for complete documentation on a transition process
     (step-by-step) for developers

Over the weekend I started playing around with an embedded Fortress
facility that will enable binary support of ECM style components under
the same runtime environment as standard avalon components. I'm still
digging into Fortress container manager code to figure out an
appropriate intercept point and will hopefully get some time this week
to get something initial up-and-running. Point two is already in
progress via the finder facility (just at the moment the real subject
here is getting a specification of selection criteria sorted out).

Cheers, Stephen.

Re: Summation of Results

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Monday 12 April 2004 22:07, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>There probably won't be an announcement here for when it happens, but it
>>will happen.
>

> Without placing any weight on your decisions, I would like to say that I think
> that the PeterD fork (Loom) were more beneficial both to his new project and
> Avalon Phoenix itself. Unlike Peter, I am sure you will not be 'told to not
> post' on the Avalon mailing lists and may promote your fork to interested
> parties. Therefor an announcement seems to me more like the right thing to
> do, than to quietly go about your things...

I am not going to be the major lead on this project, although I will be
helping out.  When there is something to announce, we can announce.

Re: Summation of Results

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 12 April 2004 22:07, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> There probably won't be an announcement here for when it happens, but it
> will happen.

Without placing any weight on your decisions, I would like to say that I think
that the PeterD fork (Loom) were more beneficial both to his new project and
Avalon Phoenix itself. Unlike Peter, I am sure you will not be 'told to not
post' on the Avalon mailing lists and may promote your fork to interested
parties. Therefor an announcement seems to me more like the right thing to
do, than to quietly go about your things...

Cheers
Niclas