Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/07/30 09:01:07 UTC

Re: Discussion of Cocoon TLP Guidelines

On 30/07/2003 0:13 Michael Wechner wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>

>> If it comes to (a) vote(s), anybody's opinion is appreciated, so
>> please speak up. Binding votes about the Cocoon guidelines can be cast
>> by Cocoon committers only - the original members of the 'founding' PMC
>> that is.
>

> I guess that as long as Lenya is under incubation, Lenya committers
> won't be able to vote, right?
>
> Which is fine with personally, but I think it's important to clarify
> what you mean by *original members of the 'founding' PMC*

the situation with xml.apache.org is that all committers can vote for
new subproject proposals (and it needs a majority vote), and that PMC
peeps get to vote on chapter changes IIUC

of course, we are setting everything up as we go along, and it's a bit
of a chicken/egg problem: *we* should decide whether committers of
incubating projects can cast binding votes in this matter, and if I
state that such 'incubating' committers are allowed to vote on such a
decision, well... I think the outcome would be pretty obvious ;-)

<aside type="pmc chair hat off">There's another thing about project
incubation that kinda interests me: what happens upon incubation
failure? To me, there's a difference between the people and the project
involved. The subproject can fail, but committers of failed incubation
projects can still stick around - even though committers are very much
tied to (sub)projects. In this sense, I think any committer, even if
this used to be for a now-failed incubating project, has been deemed
worthy once to carry the Apache feathers, so he/she should be able to
speak up on regulatory matters. Collaterally, since Lenya peeps are
apache.org peeps with a particular interest in Cocoon, I wouldn't mind
if they cast binding votes on the formation of the Cocoon charter.</aside>

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org