Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/18 10:50:28 UTC

harmony-demo-1 status Was: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Tharindu,
So, you have successfully completed building Harmony, haven't you? I'm
eager to know if you have succeeded with launching
System.out.println("Hello, world") and FreeCol.

Thanks!

BTW, as for maven, the idea was around here for a while, see [1].
[1] http://markmail.org/message/w4zcrcbqtl76ebsu

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: harmony-demo-1 status Was: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
You should redirect stderr stream into the file rather than stdout. In
your case the command should look like

~/harmony/target/hdk/jdk/jre/bin/java -Xverbose:codegen -Xmx256m
-Xms256m  -showversion -jar ~/freecol/FreeCol.jar 2> test

Regards,
Alexei

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, that worked.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Aleksey Lagoshin <ay...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Tharindu,
>
> All exceptions go to the standart error output, so just try this:
>
> ~/harmony/target/hdk/jdk/jre/bin/java -Xverbose:codegen -Xmx256m -Xms256m
> -showversion -jar ~/freecol/FreeCol.jar 2> test
>
> 2008/3/26, Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I applied the patch and I get the very long Swing exception. But I have
> > dumb question. Since its very long I'm tryin to get the output into a
> text
> > file and analyze it. The usual method of "> text.txt" after the command
> > doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Here's my command:
> > ~/harmony/target/hdk/jdk/jre/bin/java -Xverbose:codegen -Xmx256m
> -Xms256m
> > -showversion -jar ~/freecol/FreeCol.jar > test
> >
> > But the test file only had the following output:
> >
> > Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2008 The Apache Software
> > Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
> > The music files could not be loaded by FreeCol. Disabling music.
> >

> > Is there a way I can get the output to a file???
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Pleases disregard my earlier reply.

> forward.

> > of
> by
> > problem
> easiest

> working_classlib/modules/swing/make/exclude.common:javax/swing/JRootPaneRTest.java
> > > > >

> working_classlib/modules/swing/make/exclude.common:javax/swing/JRootPaneTest.java

> root.
> may
> file

> > attack.

> Apache
> Apache
> > with:
> Apache
> JarRunner.java
> > haven't
> see
> > that
> > mirror
> > hardcoded
> > you
> > needed.
> > put
> central
> > The
> coding
> > MD5
> > Maven.
> > build,
> > many
> > just
> > that
> mind
> intend
> problem
> <g>.

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Tharindu
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >

> > Tharindu

> Aleksey

Tharindu

Re: harmony-demo-1 status Was: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Aleksey Lagoshin <ay...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tharindu,

All exceptions go to the standart error output, so just try this:

~/harmony/target/hdk/jdk/jre/bin/java -Xverbose:codegen -Xmx256m -Xms256m
-showversion -jar ~/freecol/FreeCol.jar 2> test

2008/3/26, Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>:

> I applied the patch and I get the very long Swing exception. But I have a
> dumb question. Since its very long I'm tryin to get the output into a text
> file and analyze it. The usual method of "> text.txt" after the command
> doesn't seem to work.
>
> Here's my command:
> ~/harmony/target/hdk/jdk/jre/bin/java -Xverbose:codegen -Xmx256m -Xms256m
> -showversion -jar ~/freecol/FreeCol.jar > test
>
> But the test file only had the following output:
>
> Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2008 The Apache Software
> Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
> The music files could not be loaded by FreeCol. Disabling music.
>

> Is there a way I can get the output to a file???
>

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Pleases disregard my earlier reply.
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Alexei,
> > >
> > > Sorry for being out for a few days. Had to work on a report for uni.
> > > Could I have your mail address? It's not mentioned on the wiki page.

> of
> problem

> working_classlib/modules/swing/make/exclude.common:javax/swing/JRootPaneRTest.java
> > > >

> working_classlib/modules/swing/make/exclude.common:javax/swing/JRootPaneTest.java

> attack.

> with:
> haven't
> that
> mirror
> hardcoded
> you
> needed.
> put
> The
> MD5
> Maven.
> build,
> many
> just
> that

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Tharindu
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tharindu
>

> --
> Regards,
>

> Tharindu

Aleksey

Re: harmony-demo-1 status Was: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > As for the next step, after fixing [1] we come come to the failure of
> > > the whole Swing subsystem [2]. I would recommend approaching this by
> > > enabling unit tests for involved components. For example, the problem
> > > in [1] involves JRootPane. Fixing the following tests is the easiest
> > > way to understand JRootPane design and related problems. Note,
> > > excluded tests may run nicely separately but fail when executed in a
> > > loop, usually, due to resource leakage.
> > >
> > > $ grep JRootPane working_classlib/modules/swing/make/*
> > >
> > > working_classlib/modules/swing/make/exclude.common:javax/swing/JRootPaneRTest.java
> > >
> > > working_classlib/modules/swing/make/exclude.common:javax/swing/JRootPaneTest.java
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > [1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5643
> > > [2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4252

> > > "data/images/units/Unit0.png" could not be found.

Tharindu

Re: harmony-demo-1 status Was: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> > Maven
> > >  >  > doesn't
> > >  >  > >  > > worry about.
> > >  >  > >  >
> > >  >  > >  I see. I didn't think about that since it slipped my mind
> > that Hrmony
> > >  >  > needs
> > >  >  > >  to run test from its own JRE. I understand why you intend to
> > skip maven
> > >  >  > or
> > >  >  > >  try Ivy.
> > >  >  > >
> > >  >  > >
> > >  >  > >  >
> > >  >  > >  >
> > >  >  > >  > In this case it appears that there really is a problem with
> > the
> > >  >  > download
> > >  >  > >  > site, so our dependency management is working well <g>.

Tharindu

Re: harmony-demo-1 status Was: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

wrote:

> [...]
> Maven
> >  >  > doesn't
> >  >  > >  > > worry about.
> >  >  > >  >
> >  >  > >  I see. I didn't think about that since it slipped my mind that
> Hrmony
> >  >  > needs
> >  >  > >  to run test from its own JRE. I understand why you intend to
> skip maven
> >  >  > or
> >  >  > >  try Ivy.
> >  >  > >
> >  >  > >
> >  >  > >  >
> >  >  > >  >
> >  >  > >  > In this case it appears that there really is a problem with
> the
> >  >  > download
> >  >  > >  > site, so our dependency management is working well <g>.

Tharindu

Re: harmony-demo-1 status Was: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

wrote:

> [...]
> Maven
> >  >  > doesn't
> >  >  > >  > > worry about.
> >  >  > >  >
> >  >  > >  I see. I didn't think about that since it slipped my mind that
> Hrmony
> >  >  > needs
> >  >  > >  to run test from its own JRE. I understand why you intend to
> skip maven
> >  >  > or
> >  >  > >  try Ivy.
> >  >  > >
> >  >  > >
> >  >  > >  >
> >  >  > >  >
> >  >  > >  > In this case it appears that there really is a problem with
> the
> >  >  > download
> >  >  > >  > site, so our dependency management is working well <g>.

Tharindu

Re: harmony-demo-1 status Was: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello, Tharindu, <Sphinks>,

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Tharindu,

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
I'm sorry. Gmail occasionally sends my unfinished letters when I press
too much keys. Please, just disregard the ned of my previous message.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> >  > > other "conventions" that Maven uses would prevent many other parts
> of
> >  > > the build; such as running tests on a JRE that you just built.
> Nothing
> >  > > against Maven, but Harmony's really the edge case that Maven
> doesn't
> >  > > worry about.
> >  >
> >  I see. I didn't think about that since it slipped my mind that Hrmony
> needs
> >  to run test from its own JRE. I understand why you intend to skip maven
> or
> >  try Ivy.
> >

> >  >
> >  >
> >  > In this case it appears that there really is a problem with the
> download
> >  > site, so our dependency management is working well <g>.

Tharindu