Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Balázs Zsoldos <ba...@everit.biz> on 2016/09/27 19:23:19 UTC

[configadmin] Handling of Factory Configurations

Hi,

I saw in the Jira <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5289>that it
will be possible to create a new factory configuration with pre/defined
PID. I am very interested in this feature as it will make it possible to
deploy a set of configurations without tricks.

I have several questions: Do you have a due date for ConfigAdmin 1.9.0?

I wrote my other questions into the issue, but as it it closed, I thought
it would be useful to ask them here, too.

At the moment PID for factory configurations look like: *myFactoryPID.GUID*

What will happen with these configurations if I upgrade to the next
versions of ConfigAdmin? I can imagine two solutions:

   - They will be renamed to *myFactoryPID#GUID*
   - They will be left as they are

In case that they will be left as they are, how can we get them with the
new functions?

The *Configuration* interface contains the following functions: *getPid()*
 and *getFactoryPid()*. How can we get the alias of the PID? Do we need to
do some String evaluation? I am missing a function like *getAlias()* from
the *Configuration* or a constant that tells you the separation character.

Kind regards,
*Balázs*

Re: [configadmin] Handling of Factory Configurations

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Bal�zs Zsoldos wrote
> Hi,
>
> I saw in the Jira <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5289>that it
> will be possible to create a new factory configuration with pre/defined
> PID. I am very interested in this feature as it will make it possible to
> deploy a set of configurations without tricks.
>
> I have several questions: Do you have a due date for ConfigAdmin 1.9.0?

This depends on the release of the R7 spec, which is scheduled for
around mid next year. We're depending on new OSGi api which needs tp be
released first.

> I wrote my other questions into the issue, but as it it closed, I thought
> it would be useful to ask them here, too.
>
> At the moment PID for factory configurations look like: *myFactoryPID.GUID*

This is an implementation detail at the moment, it could just be GUID or
something totally different.

> What will happen with these configurations if I upgrade to the next
> versions of ConfigAdmin? I can imagine two solutions:
>
>    - They will be renamed to *myFactoryPID#GUID*
>    - They will be left as they are

They are left as they are.

> In case that they will be left as they are, how can we get them with the
> new functions?

You can't - if you're using the old api or have used the old api, you
have to stay within the old api. There is currently no rule how the pid
for a factory pid should be generated, so we can't provide any api that
is supposed to work across all implementations. As mentioned above,  the
pid could be anything, just a GUID, or a GUID with a random number etc.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland