Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Keith Schacht <ks...@uiuc.edu> on 2000/12/05 05:38:53 UTC

Using JAR files

I have a servlet that references a bunch of classes that are all packaged
nicely in a JAR file.  I put this JAR file into the
/webappname/WEB-INF/servlet directory but I get:

500 .NoClassDefFoundError: org/worthy/utilities/worthyConst

(the org/worthy/utitilities/worthyConst structure is all within the JAR
file).  I realize I could probably just recreate the directory structure
from within the WEB-INF/servlet directory and put each of the class files in
its respective location but I would really rather use the JAR file.

I tried adding this directory /webappname/WEB-INF/servlet to classpath and
restarting (even though it was recently mentioned you should not do it), but
that didn't work.  I tried just copying the JAR file straight to
/tomcat/lib/ and this time when I restarted I did indeed see it listed in
the classpath startup message.. but still go the same 500 error.

Any ideas?

Keith Schacht
http://www.pididdle.com

Posted by "Michael H. La Budde" <mh...@prsft.com>.
At 12/5/2000 10:15 AM +0100, you wrote:
>I believe you have to put the full path of the jar-file including the
>filename in classpath......and not just the path  to the directory where
>the jar-file is located....

Nope. Simply put the jar file in the WEB-INF/lib directory (e.g.
<path-to-tomcat>/webapps/webappname/WEB-INF/lib/worthyorg.jar  and tomcat
will setup the classpath for your webapp to include it (and all jars you
put there)....

HTH,

Mike

Re: Using JAR files