Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Saleem Hasan <ha...@grant.phys.subr.edu> on 2006/04/18 17:57:19 UTC

SA scores 9, 13, or 19 but places message in Inbox

Hi,

I am new at spam filtering and have recently installed SA 3.1.1 on a
RedHat E L 3 mailserver. I am using a procmailrc to invoke SA and
.procmailrc for individual users. There are two spam folders, one for
score between 5 and 10 and the other for spam score >= 10. I read the faq
on rounding issues in Filtering and Labeling but my problem is slightly
different. I find that 3 or 4 times I have received messages in my Inbox
(Pine) that score 9 or more when scanned manually with SA. I have a
spamtrap to which I can send false negatives but this is different because
SA scores the message (manually) at a level where it should send it to
either one of the spam folders and not to Inbox. It would be
understandable if, due to insufficient learning, SA scored the message
low and placed it in the Inbox. I have received a couple of hundred spam
messages and 3 or 4 such messages (with scores 9, 13, 19) have gone to
the Inbox.

Thanks

Saleem

Re: SA scores 9, 13, or 19 but places message in Inbox

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Saleem Hasan" <ha...@grant.phys.subr.edu>

> Hi,
>
> I am new at spam filtering and have recently installed SA 3.1.1 on a
> RedHat E L 3 mailserver. I am using a procmailrc to invoke SA and
> .procmailrc for individual users. There are two spam folders, one for
> score between 5 and 10 and the other for spam score >= 10. I read the faq
> on rounding issues in Filtering and Labeling but my problem is slightly
> different. I find that 3 or 4 times I have received messages in my Inbox
> (Pine) that score 9 or more when scanned manually with SA. I have a
> spamtrap to which I can send false negatives but this is different because
> SA scores the message (manually) at a level where it should send it to
> either one of the spam folders and not to Inbox. It would be
> understandable if, due to insufficient learning, SA scored the message
> low and placed it in the Inbox. I have received a couple of hundred spam
> messages and 3 or 4 such messages (with scores 9, 13, 19) have gone to
> the Inbox.
>
> Thanks
>
> Saleem

Sometimes the time between the original scan and the manual scan is enough
for several black lists to have added the involved addresses.

Make sure you do not have multiple passes of SpamAssassin.

Is the procmail rule for the diversions to the spam directory misbehaving.
(What part of the headers are you using as your spam/ham and score
discriminator?)

{^_^}

Re: SA scores 9, 13, or 19 but places message in Inbox

Posted by Saleem Hasan <ha...@grant.phys.subr.edu>.
Thanks JamesDR,

I am using POP3. The thing is that this does not happen all the time. In
fact, this has happened only 3 or 4 times in the last 100-200 spams. I did
not set any filters in Pine but there may be some set by default. I will
also check for the Pine log and Pine filter log.

Thanks.

Posted by JamesDR <ro...@bellsouth.net>.