Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/17 04:40:22 UTC

[DISCUSSION] change 2.2 branch build JDK from 6 to 5

We should change the 2.2 build JDK from 6 to 5 because we can't start the
server with jdk 5 if we build 2.2 branch with jdk 6.  See [1] for more
background.

Jarek,

I remember that you are owner of the geronimo build system.  Can you help do
that ?

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5369

--
Shawn

Re: [DISCUSSION] change 2.2 branch build JDK from 6 to 5

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
> > On 6/17/2010 11:20 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
> >> I'd be fine with requiring Java SE 6 for 2.2.1 and follow-on releases.
> >>

> > Is that even allowed by the Java EE 5 certification rules?
>
> Yes, but I don't think it really matters. I don't think we have any real
> motivation to move to Java 6 -- there aren't Java 6 features that we're
> planning on taking advantage of...

It's simply someone "built" on Java 6 and found that they had problems
> subsequently "running" on Java 5.

Besides someone "built" on Java 6,   there might be other problems when
using Java 6 as runtime.

> IMO, we should be building on Java 5 (maintaining support for Java 5), if
> users want to run on Java 6, that's fine...

Sure we should maintain support for Java 5.   But for Java 6,  since we
didn't pass the java EE 5 certification with Java 6 as runtime.   It's
better to document that.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
I thought there was an earlier discussion about some component using new
security features of Java SE 6, but can't find that thread now....

Maybe Shawn can give more details as to why we should consider the move.

-Donald

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 11:18 PM, chi runhua wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Right, stay with SE 5.   But document that there might be some potential
> issue(e.g. webservice problems caused by SE 6 bundled saaj and jaxb) when
> working with SE 6.
> >
> > So far, we have document for G2.2 at [1] as below:
> >
> > Geronimo v2.2 can be built on Java SE 6 and provide support to
> JAXB/JAX-WS version2 implementation, and its assemblies also supports Java 5
> and 6 run-time environments.
> >
> > Plan to update as:
> >
> > Geronimo v2.2 can be built on Java SE 6 and provide support to
> JAXB/JAX-WS version2 implementation, and its assemblies also supports Java 5
> and 6 run-time environments.  Note that server assemblies are built based on
> Java 5 SDK by default, there will be some potential issues with web services
> features especially when using SAAJ and JAXB components at Java 6 run-time
> environment.
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> As a project, we've always run our TCK tests on a single platform
> (hardware, OS, JDK).
>
> If there are known problems running Geronimo on Java 6, I'd like to know
> about them. AFAIK, we have some setup/configuration issues running TCK on
> Java 6. This does not mean there are runtime issues on Java 6.

the setup/configuration might be one of the causes.  But I still believe
there are potential runtime issues on webservice part.

I'll  look into this when I have time.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right, stay with SE 5.   But document that there might be some potential
> issue(e.g. webservice problems caused by SE 6 bundled saaj and jaxb) when
> working with SE 6.
>
> So far, we have document for G2.2 at [1] as below:

Geronimo v2.2 can be built on Java SE 6 and provide support to JAXB/JAX-WS
version2 implementation, and its assemblies also supports Java 5 and 6
run-time environments.

Plan to update as:

Geronimo v2.2 can be built on Java SE 6 and provide support to JAXB/JAX-WS
version2 implementation, and its assemblies also supports Java 5 and 6
run-time environments.  Note that server assemblies are built based on Java
5 SDK by default, there will be some potential issues with web services
features especially when using SAAJ and JAXB components at Java 6 run-time
environment.

Any comments?

[1].
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/new-features-and-enhancements.html#Newfeaturesandenhancements-JavaSE6support

Jeff

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 6/17/2010 11:20 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
> I'd be fine with requiring Java SE 6 for 2.2.1 and follow-on releases.

Is that even allowed by the Java EE 5 certification rules?

Rick

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Shawn,

2.1 and 2.2 are already built with Java 5.

Jarek