Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by William Colen <wi...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/08 15:11:03 UTC

OpenNLP 1.5.3 RC 2 ready for testing

Hi all,

Our second release candidate is ready for testing. RC1 failed to pass the
initial quality check.

The RC 2 can be downloaded from here:
http://people.apache.org/~colen/releases/opennlp-1.5.3/rc2/

To use it in a maven build set the version for opennlp-tools or
opennlp-uima to 1.5.3, and for opennlp-maxent to 3.0.3, and add this URL to
your settings.xml file:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheopennlp-005/

The current test plan can be found here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/OPENNLP/testplan153.html

Please sign up for tasks in the test plan.

The release plan can be found here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/OPENNLP/releaseplanandtasks153.html

The RC contains quite some changes, please refer to the contained issue
list for details.

William

Re: OpenNLP 1.5.3 RC 2 ready for testing

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Issues is here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENNLP-565

Jörn

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: Liblinear (was: OpenNLP 1.5.3 RC 2 ready for testing)

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.
I used the Java port. I actually pulled it into nak as nak.liblinear
because the model write/read code did it as text files and I needed access
to the Model member fields in order to do the serialization how I wanted.
Otherwise it remains as is. With a little bit of adaptation, you could
provide a Java wrapper in OpenNLP that follows the same pattern as my Scala
stuff. You'd just need to make it implement AbstractModel, which shouldn't
be too hard. (I have it implement LinearModel, which is just a slight
modification of MaxentModel, and I changed all uses of AbstractModel to
LinearModel in Chalk [the opennlp.tools portion]). -j

--
Jason Baldridge
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics

Liblinear (was: OpenNLP 1.5.3 RC 2 ready for testing)

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by William Colen <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
Jorn,

Could you run the German data to get the combined values?

I have the values for the 1000 iterations for the combined.
Testing All Name Finder [de.testa]

Precision: 0.6825576995838063
Recall: 0.37326712187047384
F-Measure: 0.4826110219368647
Testing All Name Finder [de.testb]

Precision: 0.6774332472006891
Recall: 0.4282602777021508
F-Measure: 0.5247706422018349

But the runs you did with 1.5.2 where with 100 iterations for the training.

I'll try to get the Conll 2002 data by Wednesday for the namefinder
testing results.

Thanks,
James

Re: OpenNLP 1.5.3 RC 2 ready for testing

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi William,

No, I think it will be fine.  The problem only lies in data where there
is back to back names being tagged in the sentences.  The unfixed prior
models would invalidly tag them with the wrong type... i.e.: both could
be the same type such as person instead of the different types one
person and the other maybe miscellaneous.

In some of the models; especially the combined Name Finder models that
contained all the tags ... were affected most; since, the likelihood of
back to back tags is higher.
In the English models there were 3 sentences that had improper tags
before ... now have the correct tags with the fixes.  This improved the
scores a bit.

It should produce identical models since the problem was with the output
tagging and not with the training of the models.

James

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
I've finished the testing with the Name Finders.

The results where improved slightly.  I know in the English models the
tagger mistakenly tagged adjacent tokens as being identical when in fact
the model had correctly categorized the names.  There were 3 sentences
that previously had an incorrect adjacent tag in the 1.5.2 release that
are now fixed and improved the score slightly for the 1.5.3 release.
I'm not sure on the other models how many sentences were affected.
This only affected the name finder that was trained to categorize all
the names together into one model.  Models trained to only find one type
of name where not affected by this change, because any adjacently tagged
item would be the same type anyway.

James

Re: OpenNLP 1.5.3 RC 2 ready for testing

Posted by William Colen <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi, James,

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
I committed the file, please do an svn update before you start with the
build.

Jörn

Posted by William Colen <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.