Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Michael Morris <mi...@optimad.com> on 2002/09/13 18:01:51 UTC

HTML link Parser question

I have been following the emails going back and forth between Rohit Peyyeti,
Mike Stover and John Kavadias.
I just cannot seem to get the HTML link parser to do what I want.
Here is my tree:

- Test Plan
	- Thread Group
		- Simple Controller
			- login
			- Http req 1
			-Simple controller
				- HTML link parser
				- Http req 2
			-timer
			-view results tree
			-Http cookie manager
			-header manager

notes:
Http req 1 creates a record and returns a page of HTML containing the hidden
parameter "recordID"
Http req 2 edits the record just created, in the list of parameters here I
add .* for the value of recordID.

>From what I understand, this should work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Michael

Re: HTML link Parser question

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
There's a lot of things that could prevent this from working:

1.  Are you using JMeter 1.7.3 or a recent nightly?  JMeter 1.7 will not work they way your
test is described.

2. Are the edits sent in req 2 a Form or an anchor link?  If a form, did you make req2 use the
POST method?  If a link, is it set to GET?

3. Are some of the values and/or path of the form in req 2 set using javascript that the HTML
Link Parser can't parse?

4.  Did you create this test by recording it or by writing it by hand?  If by hand, you've most
likely made a mistake somewhere - easier to record and modify afterward than write by hand.

5.  When all else fails, you must examine the HTML response from req1 and verify it contains
the form or link and all the values you expect it to contain.  Javascript and other funkiness can
screw things up (but that doesn't mean there aren't ways around this).

-Mike

On 13 Sep 2002 at 17:01, Michael Morris wrote:

> I have been following the emails going back and forth between Rohit Peyyeti,
> Mike Stover and John Kavadias.
> I just cannot seem to get the HTML link parser to do what I want.
> Here is my tree:
>
> - Test Plan
> 	- Thread Group
> 		- Simple Controller
> 			- login
> 			- Http req 1
> 			-Simple controller
> 				- HTML link parser
> 				- Http req 2
> 			-timer
> 			-view results tree
> 			-Http cookie manager
> 			-header manager
>
> notes:
> Http req 1 creates a record and returns a page of HTML containing the hidden
> parameter "recordID"
> Http req 2 edits the record just created, in the list of parameters here I
> add .* for the value of recordID.
>
> From what I understand, this should work. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael