Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Darrell Taylor <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/29 18:19:20 UTC

Pragmatic cluster backup strategies?

Hi,

We are about to build a 10 machine cluster with 40Tb of storage, obviously
as this gets full actually trying to create an offsite backup becomes a
problem unless we build another 10 machine cluster (too expensive right
now).  Not sure if it will help but we have planned the cabinet into an
upper and lower half with separate redundant power, then we plan to put
half of the cluster in the top, half in the bottom, effectively 2 racks, so
in theory we could lose half the cluster and still have the copies of all
the blocks with a replication factor of 3?  Apart form the data centre
burning down or some other disaster that would render the machines totally
unrecoverable, is this approach good enough?

I realise this is a very open question and everyone's circumstances are
different, but I'm wondering what other peoples experiences/opinions are
for backing up cluster data?

Thanks
Darrell.

Re: Pragmatic cluster backup strategies?

Posted by Darrell Taylor <da...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like Trash is useful for those times when you delete a bunch of
files by mistake and can get them back quickly, as you say not a backup
strategy, but at least a first line of defence.

We had a discussion in the office and came up with the following possible
solution, this stems from the technique we currently use for fast MySQL
backups.  So, each of the nodes will have 4 x 3Tb drives on board, what we
propose is to use 2 of the drives on each node for the main data, and the
other 2 drives for backup, but using LVM we will be able to take a snapshot
of all the nodes all at the same time, what LVM snapshots effectively do is
checkpoint the main disk and then takes copies of any changed inodes,
resulting in a partition that you can mount that is a view of the node at
the snapshot time.  We would simply run this in cron on all the machines at
the same time (machines are synced with ntp) and this would give us a
snapshot of the cluster at a point in time.  The main question I have here
is if the cluster is busy doing something at the point in time we take the
snapshot, and then do a subsequent full restore (after shutting down the
cluster etc.) what potential problems might we see with the data nodes, as
I guess there will be blocks in various random states, but the cluster is
essentially restored.  Also I guess we need to apply the same technique to
the main namenode and jobtracker machines?

Anybody every tried anything like this before?  Is it even feasible?

Posted by alo alt <wg...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

you could set fs.trash.interval into the number of minutes you want to consider that the rm'd data will lost forever. The data will be moved into .Trash and deleted after the configured time.
Second way could be to use mount.fuse to mount the HDFS and backup over that mount your data into a storage tier. That is not the best solution, but a useable way.

cheers,
 Alex

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz