Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Lucien GENTIS <lu...@lorraine.iufm.fr> on 2007/07/22 14:57:21 UTC

little error

Greetings to all,

In http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/glossary.html :

Definition of Transport Layer Security says :
"TLS version 1 and is nearly identical with SSL version 3."

Wouldn't it be "TLS version 1 is nearly identical with SSL version 3." ?

Best Regards,

Lucien Gentis

Re: little error

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 24/07/07, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> There's no policy on this. It's merely a function of the fact that
> we're a volunteer organization, and people work on the stuff that we
> care about. Consequently, the 1.3 docs have become more and more
> abandoned, with only occasional serious errors being fixed in that
> branch. If you want to backport doc patches, you are very welcome to
> do so. There are still millions of servers running the 1.3 code, and
> so presumably lots of folks still need the 1.3 docs.
>
> I've tried to remember to patch the 2.0 docs when I patch the 2.2 and
> trunk docs, but it doesn't always happen. 2.0 is still very
> important, with lots of people having made the jump to 2.0 but not
> feeling quite confident enough to move to 2.2.
>
> --
> Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
> you do it.
> Mahatma Ghandi

What an astute .sig, serendipity?

I pondered today if there's also a function involved here in making
the next major release sufficiently better, by not backporting trivial
changes. Perhaps that's less of an issue with the docs.

--
noodl

Re: little error

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: little error

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 7/22/07, Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/07/07, Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fixed in trunk and 2.2, thanks. Looks like somebody beat me to it with 2.0 :-)
>
> Ok, so I wasn't beaten too it, I just had another mislabeled WC for
> 2.2. I've committed this to 2.0 too now, but I should ask the list...
>
> Is there a policy on maintaining the 2.0 branch docs now? The previous
> commit to them was 2 months ago and several updates seem to have been
> directed only at 2.2 and trunk in that time.
>
> I presume the 1.3 docs are considered dead but not burried?

There's no specific policy. I personally find that committing at least
4 files for a simple typo fix (xml/html in trunk and xml/html in 2.2)
is as much work as I want to do. But if others want to backport
further, I have no objection at all. I do try to push major errors and
security notes all the way back to 1.3.

Joshua.

Re: little error

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.