Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Jason McKerr <mc...@nacse.org> on 2003/06/17 19:38:46 UTC

Re: Any Oracle OJB Users in Production? -- Thomas or someone, Comments on Datatype?

Can someone who knows more about the core tables read and comment as
well?

OK,

First, you need to check your connection properties in OJB.properties.
There you can control the number of open connections, pooling, all of
that good stuff.

The next thing is that on one of the tables (OJB_DMAP_ENTRIES) in OJB
tries to create two LONG RAW columns, which you can't do in Oracle.

So I changed all of the various LONG RAW columns in the core tables in
Oracle to RAW(2000).  LONG RAW and RAW are both non-interpreted binary
data columns, LONG RAW supports up to 2 Gig's, and RAW up to 2000.

Now, I don't know what OJB needs a 2GIG column for, but my tests passed
on RAW(2000).

Finally, I didn't actually mess with the torque stuff, I just reverse
engineering everything into a SQL file and ran it on Oracle.

If you want to do it with Torque, you'll need to change some
configuration files:

1) You need to open/unzip the "torque-3.0.jar" in the lib directory.
2) You need to open the db.props file for Oracle (in sql/base/oracle
directory). This file controls the JDBC mappings for the tables that are
created.

Change: LONGVARBINARY = LONG RAW
to 	LONGVARBINARY = RAW
3) Zip it up again with the new file and run

I could use some commentary on this from Armin or Thomas as to if this
is OK for all uses.  I've run all of my JUnit/JUnitEE tests without a
problem.  But 2000 is a lot smaller than 2 Gig.

If you need more help, let me know.

Jason

Posted by Chris Lewington <cl...@ebi.ac.uk>.
Hi,

re. the OJB-specific tables and mismatch with oracle:

firstly if you don't use ODMG (or even if you do but not DList etc and don't do object
locking via a DB table) then you can ignore virtually all the OJB-specific tables. Also
if you use your own sequence manager and not those that come with OJB (eg high-low etc)
then you don't need any of the tables to run your applications, only the junit test
cases. If you are happy to take the risk just go for it - our stuff works on oracle and
postgres without any OJB-specific tables in our schema and we use ODMG (but with
in-memory locking and no TX-aware collection types). OK, so we lose the ability to run
the junit regression tests, but to get things up and running quickly for what you want
to do then you could park the table/type tweaking for now. So quick summary:

if you a) do your own sequence management, b) use in-memory obj locking, c) don't use
the ODMG collections, and d) don't want to run the junit stuff (ie have a little faith
:-)) then you don't need any of the OJB internal tables. You lose the regression
testing, but even if you go for OJB seq management you only need one table so just drop
the other ones that give you grief.

Just a thought,

cheers,

Chris