Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org> on 2005/05/14 15:34:37 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

#* Allright folks, RC6 was released a while ago, and various issues
were resolved. According to our planned schedule, I am releasing
a mod_perl-2.0.0 preview! As before, this is your last chance to
affect the new API, since after 2.0.0 is released, incompatible API
changes will not happen. So, one more time, test this tarball as much
as possible. If all is well, this could become the official 2.0.0 release. *#

Again, thank you for all the testing and the bug reports!

Get it while it's hot:

   file: http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp2/mod_perl-2.0.0-dev.tar.gz
   size: 1434124 bytes
    md5: c6d24621b1aed5cec7028e8595eecccb
   sha1: effe5b0de76c2a9a34ee36e3265cf4b498e98444
    gpg: http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp2/mod_perl-2.0.0-dev.tar.gz.asc
    rev: 170139

Changes since RC6:

fix the ap_install target in the top-level Makefile (used for static
build) [Stas]

Reintroduce a pure-Perl version of ModPerl::Util::unload_package()
The problematic XS version is now called unload_package_xs() and
not used by default [Gozer]

More APR::Status wrappers:  [Stas, Randy Kobes]
- is_EOF
- is_ECONNABORTED
- is_ECONNRESET
- is_TIMEUP

make sure that the build picks up the include directories based on the
apxs queries and only search the httpd source if $self->{MP_AP_PREFIX}
was set. Earlier it was always picking the headers from the httpd
source if it was available, which was resulting in the wrong headers
if the installed httpd was different than the source that was found
[Stas]

introduce ModPerl::RegistryPrefork and ModPerl::PerlRunPrefork, which
behave the same as ModPerl::Registry and ModPerl::PerlRun,
respectively, but chdir to the script's directory like mod_cgi
does. These two new handlers will refuse to load under threaded MPMs
where chdir can't be used as it will affect all running threads [Stas]

ModPerl::RegistryCooker::chdir_file_normal() now chdirs to the current
script's directory or the specified directory as an argument, as it
was planned in first place. Therefore switch ModPerl::Registry and
ModPerl::PerlRun to us NOP for this method call. If chdir_file is
mapped to chdir_file_normal(), then run() and
convert_script_to_compiled_handler() now call chdir to the script's
directory and at before returning go back to the server root. [Stas]

prevent undef warnings in catfile() calls in Apache2::Build when
called from the ModPerl-Registry tree [Stas]

fix modperl_brigade_dump to use apr_file_printf() instead of
fprintf(), which doesn't work everywhere [Stas]

Fix a warning triggered by `ln` on Cygwin, when running perl
Makefile.PL for a second time without previously running make
clean. [Nick *** <do...@abv.bg>]

When compiling a static mod_perl and
MP_AP_CONFIGURE="--with-apr=/some/path" argument is given, Apache will
use the apr-config at the given path, but mod_perl was using the
default at "srclib/apr/.libs". Fix that [Nick *** <do...@abv.bg>]

Show MP_APU_CONFIG as an argument to Makefile.PL in the Usage
menu. [Nick *** <do...@abv.bg>]

Makefile.PL: fix the pre-rename mp2 install diagnostics code, to use
the mp version of 1.999xx and not 1.999_xx, as the latter is
unsuitable for numerical comparison, also fix the name of the reported
conflicting directory [Stas].

add APR::Status::is_(EACCES|ENOENT), and use in ModPerl::RegistryCooker
to return, as appropriate, Apache2::Const::(FORBIDDEN|NOT_FOUND),
based on $@. Also remove a check in modperl_slurp_filename
of src/modules/perl/modperl_util.c to enable $@ to be set when
opening or reading a file fails. This fixes a bug on Win32, revealed
in 404.t and redirect.t of the ModPerl-Registry tests, as reported
by Steve Hay and Markus Wichitill [Stas, Randy Kobes]

link Apache2::* and ModPerl::* to mod_perl.a and DynaLoader.a, but
-lmod_perl and -lDynaLoader don't work, and we can't supply the full
paths, because MakeMaker doesn't allow this. I workaround this by
making a symlink to mod_perl.a (called libmod_perl.a) and copy
DynaLoader.a to libDynaLoader.a (I don't create a symlink, because,
when running make clean, the real DynaLoader.a may get deleted).  The
APR::* extensions are not affected, because in both cases we link them
against aprext.  Also other small fixes are added. [Nick ***
<do...@abv.bg>]

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Markus Wichitill wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>> I've noticed that ModPerl::MethodLookup has again no version number
>>> and therefore is back on the update list after a current-SVN or
>>> preview installation:
>>>
>>> cpan> r
>>> Package namespace     installed latest in CPAN file
>>> ModPerl::MethodLookup undef     0.009
>>> S/ST/STAS/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC6.tar.gz
>>

>> what do you mean 'again' did it ever have a version number?
>

> Well, according to the output of the above command, it does in
> mod_perl-2.0.0-RC6.tar.gz.
>
> In DummyVersions.pm, there's
>
> package ModPerl::MethodLookup;
> $ModPerl::MethodLookup::VERSION = 1.999023;
>
> I don't know why those numbers differ, but shouldn't the generated
> module get a real version number in any case, so that the CPAN shell
> doesn't think that all releases on CPAN are newer than the installed
> versionless module?

Because CPAN.pm doesn't load DummyVersions.pm, it doesn't load anything at
all. It just searches for a string VERSION in the file that it's
presenting to you.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by Markus Wichitill <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Markus Wichitill wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>> has anyone confirmed that the CPAN issues are 100% fixed?
>

> I've noticed that ModPerl::MethodLookup has again no version number and
> therefore is back on the update list after a current-SVN or preview
> installation:
>
> cpan> r
> Package namespace     installed latest in CPAN file
> ModPerl::MethodLookup undef     0.009  S/ST/STAS/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC6.tar.gz

what do you mean 'again' did it ever have a version number?

> Of course I never let the CPAN shell follow dependencies automatically
> anyway, it has too often tried to destroy my Perl installations by
> "upgrading" to a development release of Perl or something.
>
> Otherwise, all tests pass on
> - Linux: Perl/5.8.6, Apache/2.0.54 (worker)
> - Win32: Perl/5.8.6 (ActivePerl 811), Apache/2.0.54 (winnt)

Cool

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by Markus Wichitill <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> #* Allright folks, RC6 was released a while ago, and various issues
> were resolved. According to our planned schedule, I am releasing
> a mod_perl-2.0.0 preview! As before, this is your last chance to
> affect the new API, since after 2.0.0 is released, incompatible API
> changes will not happen. So, one more time, test this tarball as much
> as possible. If all is well, this could become the official 2.0.0 release. *#
>
> Again, thank you for all the testing and the bug reports!

nice job guys :)

I'd suggest that, if randy agrees, a win32 binary be pre-released like this
as well.  that way we have official test candidates (and official releases)
at the same time with no surprises.

I'll be sorta back working on monday, but I'm very +1 for philippe's idea of
giving this preview some time to sink in, and +1 for joe's idea to make
double and triple sure that mp1 + mp2 play nice.  has anyone confirmed that
the CPAN issues are 100% fixed?

--Geoff

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Again, thank you for all the testing and the bug reports!
>    file: http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp2/mod_perl-2.0.0-dev.tar.gz

FBSD 6-current
perl 5.8.6 without ithreads
httpd 2.0.54
mp2 tarball as above

100% tests pass.

+1

END

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
mi cuenta wrote:
> On 5/14/05, Philippe M. Chiasson <go...@ectoplasm.org> wrote:
>
>>#* Allright folks, RC6 was released a while ago, and various issues
>>were resolved. According to our planned schedule, I am releasing
>>a mod_perl-2.0.0 preview! As before, this is your last chance to
>>affect the new API, since after 2.0.0 is released, incompatible API
>>changes will not happen. So, one more time, test this tarball as much
>>as possible. If all is well, this could become the official 2.0.0 release. *#
>> [...]
>
> why is not announced  on  perl.apache.org ?

because that's a _preview_ of the actual release, due to happen in less than
12 hours. You'd see it announced on perl.apache.org then.

This preview release was made to give some people a chance at testing things
before we make an actual release.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by mi cuenta <pe...@gmail.com>.
> [...]
> opening or reading a file fails. This fixes a bug on Win32, revealed
> in 404.t and redirect.t of the ModPerl-Registry tests, as reported
> by Steve Hay and Markus Wichitill [Stas, Randy Kobes]
>
> link Apache2::* and ModPerl::* to mod_perl.a and DynaLoader.a, but
> -lmod_perl and -lDynaLoader don't work, and we can't supply the full
> paths, because MakeMaker doesn't allow this. I workaround this by
> making a symlink to mod_perl.a (called libmod_perl.a) and copy
> DynaLoader.a to libDynaLoader.a (I don't create a symlink, because,
> when running make clean, the real DynaLoader.a may get deleted).  The
> APR::* extensions are not affected, because in both cases we link them
> against aprext.  Also other small fixes are added. [Nick ***
> <do...@abv.bg>]
>
> --

why is not announced  on  perl.apache.org ?

thanks

Leonel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
"Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org> writes:

> Get it while it's hot:
>
>    file: http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp2/mod_perl-2.0.0-dev.tar.gz

I've tested/installed this against a preexisting mp1 installation
on a production site, and things seem to be working ok. +1 for release.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by Malcolm J Harwood <mj...@liminalflux.net>.
On Saturday 14 May 2005 12:45 pm, Tom Williams wrote:

> I learned with mod_perl-2.0.0-RC6 that previous mod_perl installations were
> not compatible, requiring removal of those installations before installing
> (including building) mod_perl-2.0.0-RC6.

That happened with RC5.

cf. http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by Tom Williams <to...@comcast.net>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> #* Allright folks, RC6 was released a while ago, and various issues
> were resolved. According to our planned schedule, I am releasing
> a mod_perl-2.0.0 preview! As before, this is your last chance to
> affect the new API, since after 2.0.0 is released, incompatible API
> changes will not happen. So, one more time, test this tarball as much
> as possible. If all is well, this could become the official 2.0.0 release. *#
>
> Again, thank you for all the testing and the bug reports!

Great!  I've been running mod_perl 2.0.0-RC4 in production for a while now and
it runs fine.  I've got an Apache 2.0 web server running which is why I use
mod_perl 2.0.

I learned with mod_perl-2.0.0-RC6 that previous mod_perl installations were not
compatible, requiring removal of those installations before installing
(including building) mod_perl-2.0.0-RC6.  Will there be a documented migration
path from pre-mod_perl-2.0.0-RC6 releases to mod_perl-2.0.0 when it is
officially released or will I just have to bite the bullet and temporarily
remove mod_perl from Apache's config, remove the old one and then install the
new one?  Or is that the migration path?

Thanks...

Peace...

Tom

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sat, 14 May 2005, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

> #* Allright folks, RC6 was released a while ago, and various issues
> were resolved. According to our planned schedule, I am releasing
> a mod_perl-2.0.0 preview! As before, this is your last chance to
> affect the new API, since after 2.0.0 is released, incompatible API
> changes will not happen. So, one more time, test this tarball as much
> as possible. If all is well, this could become the official 2.0.0 release. *#
>
> Again, thank you for all the testing and the bug reports!

Builds and tests fine on
- linux: perl/5.8.6, Apache/2.0.52 (prefork)
- Win32: perl/5.8.6 (ActivePerl 811), Apache/2.0.53 (winnt)

--
best regards,
randy

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_perl 2.0.0 (preview!)

Posted by Foo Ji-Haw <jh...@nexlabs.com>.
All right! MP2 at last!

Posted by Marc Slagle <ma...@online-rewards.com>.