Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org> on 2017/12/21 11:25:26 UTC

Aries Spec Jars

Hi all,

I’ve noticed that an increasing number of Aries projects are producing wrapped spec jars (JPA, JAX-RS, CDI...). In general I think that this is a good thing, as few other Open Source projects package the jars with OSGi contract metadata.

I do wonder, however, if these spec jars should be provided by a separate Aries project, rather than scattered across multiple other projects. I have two main reasons for this.

1. It makes the code for packaging the spec jars harder to find in source control

2. It creates some non-obvious links between projects. It’s clear why tx-control depends on JPA, but not why JAX-RS depends on CDI!

The spec jars are mostly being put into a separate Maven group already. I would simply see this as a formalisation of that earlier decision.

Thoughts?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Another alternative might be to use the Geronimo spec jars and make sure the included osgi metadata is correct.

David Jencks

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>.
My mail client appears to have messed up the indenting, sorry about that. I hope that people can still make sense of the previous mail.

Tim

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
How about fixing the servicemix bundles in a branch and maybe even release
a version from the branch to cope with the narrow time frame.
So the specs bundles still live in servicemix and it is easier to
consolidate them into one common version again.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>.
I’m still not sure what the eventual resolution of this discussion will be as it may be that Aries implementation needs simply cannot be met by using the Service Mix spec bundles, however I do agree that we should be fixing up Service Mix API bundles as far as we can. To that end I have created a PR for JSONP (https://github.com/apache/servicemix-specs/pull/12) which is not currently present in Aries, and is needed for JAX-RS support.

Tim

On 22 Dec 2017, at 17:42, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>> wrote:

On Dec 22, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>> wrote:

Do those spec bundles also exist over in SMX or Geronimo?   Is there a
“significant” number of major Apache projects that are currently using
either the ones in Aries or the ones in ServiceMix/Geronimo?   If so, then
yea, we should remove them.   Stop duplicating stuff and, instead, get
issues fixed.

I don't think this is feasible.

The reason being that those projects are using those API jars coming from a
different perspective.

Their perspective is:

- Make the API usable in OSGi when there is no OSGi specification which
specifies it's use.

I disagree..    It’s just “Make the API usable in OSGi”, period.

If there is a spec, great.  If there isn’t still make it work.  Almost as importantly: make it work in cases where the spec is available (new runtime) as well as not available (old runtimes).

From that perspective they are free to make implementation choices which is
totally fine for that case. However those choices are proprietary.

…  and, for the most part, hidden.

That’s fine as a proposal, but there are a *lot* of fixes needed in
ServiceMix before the bundles are usable. None of the bundles offer (as far
as I can tell) offer the correct contract capability (or even any contract
at all), and they all seem to include a custom locator which isn’t part of
the original specification jar. This locator will have unknown effects on
specification implementations and may need to be removed. Are the
ServiceMix team really going to be ok with changes that radical,
particularly when they affect existing released artifacts?

Removing the Locator stuff is likely not going to fly, adding additional
bundle headers is likely OK.

Here you've now made it impossible by first saying that all changes should
be made in servicemix BUT that you won't accept the changes in servicemix!

I didn’t say that at all…. I said changes can be be made in ServiceMix, but keeping the locator (or some similar mechanism) to make sure the API’s continue to work correctly is important.     If updating the FactoryFinders to use the locator if the “standard osgi mechanism” fails is necessary, that SHOULD be fine.

You're not leaving us with many options.

The locator stuff is a proprietary detail that is not part of the OSGi
specification for how these APIs should be used.

And is a completely hidden, private package and thus nearly irrelevant.

CXF does NOT implement the upcoming OSGi JAX-RS specification which is what
we're talking about here. And therefore CXF can't be placed in the same
category with the Aries JAX-RS and Aries in general which is about
implementing specifications.

Don't get me wrong, CXF and ServiceMix are fine projects. However they are
not implementing specifications. They are purely industry implementations
and those implementations have made design choices which are more or less
incompatible with the upcoming OSGi specification.

CXF implements a ton of specs… a future OSGi JAX-RS spec may or may not become one of them.    In particular, I can definitely see CXF registering the various builders and such as OSGi services.

I sincerely hope you re-consider your position and offer some real help
otherwise we're stuck not being able to deliver RIs for OSGi R7.

I *AM* offering help…. I’m more than willing to do some work and apply patches or whatever in the ServiceMix specs to get it updated and usable.

For now, as a test, I added the Provide-Capability stuff into the smx bundle, updated the maven-bundle-plugin to understand it,  and updated all of the aries-jax-rs-whiteboard poms/bndrun files to use it instead of the local thing and all the tests pass.   Thus, I’m back to “why add another one” and "why can it not work for the RI?"

Dan

- Ray

Dan

Regards,

Tim

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On Dec 22, 2017, at 4:14 AM, Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I’m completely against having yet another bundle here when the other
> bundles are the ones that will be be used by all the other projects.
> >
> > Well we already do have working spec bundles here at Aries (and have had
> for quite some time), so is your proposal to remove them?
>
> Do those spec bundles also exist over in SMX or Geronimo?   Is there a
> “significant” number of major Apache projects that are currently using
> either the ones in Aries or the ones in ServiceMix/Geronimo?   If so, then
> yea, we should remove them.   Stop duplicating stuff and, instead, get
> issues fixed.

I don't think this is feasible.

The reason being that those projects are using those API jars coming from a
different perspective.

Their perspective is:

- Make the API usable in OSGi when there is no OSGi specification which
specifies it's use.

From that perspective they are free to make implementation choices which is

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Re: Aries Spec Jars

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.
RE: geronimo

The geronimo ones were good in large part, but they aren't complete and
often no up to date and we couldn't afford to wait for someone to clean
room the updates we needed.

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: Aries Spec Jars