Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Saurav Lahiri <sa...@sungard.com> on 2013/12/30 08:38:46 UTC

[DISCUSS][PROPOSAL]root admin api to deploy default system vm

Hi,
I am currently looking into cloudstack-3471 , wiki link beolw.
(
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/API+to+extract+the+log+statements+by+jobid
).

As part of it I was was planning on deploying and using default system vms
to host
the logstash+elasticsearch indexing/searching layer. After a bit of
investigation it
appears that in cloudstack currently there is no way to deploy and start
default
system vms. Is that correct. If thats the case I am proposing a root admin
API to
 deploy a default system vm. The idea is that this system vm can be used to
host
 additional add on services by installing additional tools/packages as
required.
 For eg: for the logsearchservice , the api should first deploy and start
default
system vm , then additional configuration scripts will install and
configure the
(logstash and elasticsearch). This would be convenient for admininstrators
and
they can start querying cloudstack logs by jobid without requiring to
download
additional templates or worry about other dependencies like java. . The
existing
mechanism of using ssh port 3922 and link local ip address for
communication
with the system vm would still stand.

Would greatly appreciate feedback/suggestions on this proposal.

Thanks
Saurav

Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL]root admin api to deploy default system vm

Posted by Saurav Lahiri <sa...@sungard.com>.
Daan,
I see your point and do agree that it does have benefits. I will go ahead
with user template approach.

Thanks and wishing you and other cloudstackers a happy new year.

Thanks
Saurav

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Saurav Lahiri <sa...@sungard.com>.