Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rick Moynihan <ri...@calicojack.co.uk> on 2007/02/05 14:34:07 UTC

Launcher project status

Hi,

I recently submitted a bug report for the Launcher project, as well as a
  patch for an additional launcher feature.  Further to this I have
tried contacting some of the project developers listed at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/launcher/team-list.html

I have also tried some of the email addresses listed in the launcher
sources.  Unfortunately all my attempts have led to bouncing emails.
This has led me to wonder about Launcher's status within Apache.  I
realise that Launcher seems to suffer from a lack of community and
development, but I consider it to be a useful project, solving issues
which few other projects (to my knowledge) address.

Does anyone here know whether the Launcher project is dormant?  If so
why isn't it listed as such?  Does anyone know whether the original
developers are still active and/or contactable?

What is the best way to go about getting the feature requests and bug
fixes I speak of addressed?  Also If I were to manage to find the time
to address the bug I speak of how would I go about getting the changes
committed?

In many ways I find it hard to believe that Launcher isn't used more.
Is there another more popular alternative that I am not aware of?

Thanks for your help,

R.

Re: Launcher project status

Posted by Rick Moynihan <ri...@calicojack.co.uk>.
Hi Henri, first off thanks for getting back to me.  Your comments
particularly about shepherding are useful.

Henri Yandell wrote:
> We've not yet broached the subject of moving released components into
> dormancy, but I think the time has come. Discovery, Attributes,
> Launcher and Daemon all strike me as inactive and not something anyone
> has an itch to be supporting.

Rather than pushing projects into Dormancy straight away, would it not
be better to put out an official list of projects which are in need of
maintainers and direction?  This might give such projects a new chance
of life if they are publicly acknowledged as being in danger of falling
into dormancy.  I'm thinking that Apache could run something similar to
the Unmaintained Free Software Wiki:

http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org/

Though I have not used Commons Daemon, it appears to also be a useful
project addressing a need which only one other project I know of
addresses, the Java Service Wrapper.

Re: Launcher project status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/5/07, Rick Moynihan <ri...@calicojack.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently submitted a bug report for the Launcher project, as well as a
>   patch for an additional launcher feature.  Further to this I have
> tried contacting some of the project developers listed at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/launcher/team-list.html
>
> I have also tried some of the email addresses listed in the launcher
> sources.  Unfortunately all my attempts have led to bouncing emails.
> This has led me to wonder about Launcher's status within Apache.  I
> realise that Launcher seems to suffer from a lack of community and
> development, but I consider it to be a useful project, solving issues
> which few other projects (to my knowledge) address.
>
> Does anyone here know whether the Launcher project is dormant?

I think so. January 2005 was the last time SVN saw noticeable work,
with a 1.2 release being worked on but not released.