Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/08/05 19:44:02 UTC

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

> The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

Alpha - binding:     markt, remm, violetagg, jboynes, yoavs, rjung,
                     olamy
        non-binding: Ognjen Blagojevic, Nick Williams

No other votes were cast. The vote therefore passes.

As a new major version it will probably take a little bit longer to get
all the various bits into place for this release. I'll start that shortly.

Mark

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/08/2013 11:22, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> Mark,
>
> On 5.8.2013 22:56, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The site has been updated with the various parts required for a new
>> major release (security, migration, download, docs, navigation, which
>> version etc.) but I haven't posted the release announcement yet to give
>> the remaining mirrors time to sync up.
>
> Great job.
>
> BTW, on Tomcat 8 migration guide [1] there is a broken link to resources
> documentation [2]. I guess, the right URL is:
>
>   http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/resources.html

Thanks. fixed.

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Aug 6, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 06/08/2013 16:30, Nick Williams wrote:

>>> Fixed. Having implemented the thing, you'd think I could get the version
>>> number right...
>>
>> Hah. We all do it on occasion...

>>> It should say 8 only. That has been fixed as well.
>>
>> Well that stinks. I was hoping for an easy tool to actually compare Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 8 configuration files. Guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. :-)
>
> Insert standard advice about not using Tomcat x-y config files with
> tomcat x (where y > 0)
>
> Take the svn command line example and adjust the paths as necessary and
> you can easily compare 7.0.something to 8.0.something.

Yep. That's what I meant by "the old fashioned way." ;-)

Nick

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/08/2013 12:57, Nick Williams wrote:

> The migration guide says Tomcat 8 supports Expression Language 2.3.
> Should be 3.0. You (might) also want to call it Java Unified
> Expression Language. That's the "official" name from my
> understanding, and EL 3.0 is much more capable of being used outside
> of a JSP /easily/ than EL 2.3 was so the name is more fitting.

Fixed. Having implemented the thing, you'd think I could get the version
number right...

> Also, the migration guide says this:
>
>> To assist with the identification of these changes, the form below
>> may be used to view the differences between the configuration files
>> in different versions of Tomcat 7.
>
> However, this is not the case. I can only view the diff between
> 8.0.0-RC1 and trunk. I can't select earlier (7.0) versions.

It should say 8 only. That has been fixed as well.

Thanks,

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Aug 6, 2013, at 4:22 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On 5.8.2013 22:56, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The site has been updated with the various parts required for a new
>> major release (security, migration, download, docs, navigation, which
>> version etc.) but I haven't posted the release announcement yet to give
>> the remaining mirrors time to sync up.
>
> Great job.

Indeed. We've very excited over here.

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Posted by Elgs Qian Chen <el...@hotmail.com>.
Awesome! Thank you Mark.

By the way, what are the main differences between version 7 and 8?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.