Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/07/16 19:12:03 UTC

Apache Geronimo Board Report for July 2007

Apache Geronimo Board Report for July 2007

The Apache Geronimo Project has completed a certified Java EE 5.0
compliant stack in release 2.0-M6-rc1. This is not the official 2.0
release but demonstrates that we have an implementation that passes
the grueling demands of the Java EE 5.0 platform TCK. Sun has placed
Apache Geronimo on their certification page: http://java.sun.com/
javaee/overview/compatibility.jsp

Collaboration with several other projects at Apache is going on which
include ActiveMQ, Axis 2, CXF, MyFaces, OpenEJB, OpenJPA, Tomcat and
Yoko.
Releases

     * Geronimo
       2.0-M5 and 2.0-M6 were released in April and June respectively.

     * Geronimo Javamail
       geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec-1.0, geronimo-
javamail_1.4_mail-1.0, and geronimo-javamail_1.4_proverider-1.0 were
released in June.

     * Geronimo Specs
       geronimo-javaee-deployment_1.1MR3_spec-1.0, geronimo-
activation_1.1_spec-1.0, geronimo-ws-metadata_2.0_spec-1.1.1,
geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec-1.0

Devtools

     * Work continues on the JBoss to Geronimo (J2G) conversion tool
currently in sandbox

Xbean

3.0 and 3.0.1 (a minor build configuration bugfix) were released in
April and June respectively
JUGs and Conferences

     * Following sessions were presented at ApacheCon Europe 2007,
May 1-4, Amsterdam:
           o Apache Geronimo 2.0 - Java EE 5.0 Status and Positioning
           o J2EE Application Development on Apache Geronimo
Simplified using Eclipse

Policy Changes

     * TCK Access
       Access to the Geronimo TCK was given to the following non-
Geronimo committers: Bruno Aranda, Dan Diephouse, Dan Kulp, Darren
Middlehouse.

Subprojects

     * DayTrader
       Using the benchmark to flush out oddities and bugs. 2.0 will
be updated and released soon after Geronimo 2.0 is made available.

     * DevTools
     * XBean
       We've fixed a number of bugs found during geronimo tck work
and extended the xbean-spring functionality slightly.
     * Samples
       Contains a gallery of small samples that show how Geronimo's
plan can be written and used. They can be created from a template to
give a consistent look and feel.

Community

New Committers:

     * Jay McHugh
     * Lin Sun
     * Tim McConnell

PMC Additions:
Other Issues

     * TCK Issues
       We have encountered significant delays in obtaining TCKs and
related materials such as exclusion lists. Delays have been taking
between 2 and 3 weeks from request to obtaining product.  These
issues are on the Apache side and not Sun as Sun has been very
responsive in our requests. We need to improve our access to the TCKs
and exclusion lists. There are several people on Apache Geronimo that
are interested in helping out in this area if needed.

In addition, we need a better way to coordinate TCK activities by
multiple projects it might be prudent to have a place for various
projects to coordinate their TCK test activities. During the Geronimo
testing it was discovered that CXF (that helped with the testing) was
unaware of some challenges that had already been raised by Geronimo
testers. We're not sure if there is sufficient overlap to justify
more central coordination but wanted to note the issue.