Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert Swarbrick <ro...@asg.com> on 2005/03/03 12:52:03 UTC

Merge skipping newly added files

Hi all,

We've a couple of branches in the system I work on, and in trying to
merge from one branch to trunk I keep getting "Skipped missing target".

This isn't close to my first merge, and I know I've had new files
created in previous merges correctly - so I'm looking for ideas on what
to investigate (but a "do this and you're sorted" won't be ignored!)

The problem
~~~~~~~~~~~
In the "sen_local" branch, a new directory "error" was added (see output
below), and then a set of files under that.  I didn't add these, but it
all looks fine in the repository.

Merging from that branch back to the trunk (called sen_65 in my working
copy) doesn't add the new directory as I'd expected it to, it just skips
it.  I can't see any reason for this in the 1.1 SVN book.

I'm using SVN 1.1.3, TortoiseSVN 1.1.3 build 2502 as a client, against a
1.1.1 SVN server running on Linux Red Hat 9.  It's on a private LAN and
is simply accessed using the svn:// protocol (no http).

There's been multiple merges between this branch and trunk before, all
by me, and all fine.

Any ideas what I should look at to resolve this?

Sample output from TortoiseSVN's Merge
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Updated: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\src
Added: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error
Skipped missing target: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error\key-error.html

Skipped missing target: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error\expired.html
Skipped missing target: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error\disk-error.html

Skipped missing target:
D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error\clock-error.html
Skipped missing target: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error\path-error.html

Skipped missing target: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error\timeout.html
Skipped missing target: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error\HEADER.html
Skipped missing target:
D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error\key-mismatch.html
Updated: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html\error
Updated: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\html
Updated: D:\Dev\sen_65\sen_mgr\install\conf\menuset.db

Regards,
Robert Swarbrick.

Re: Merge skipping newly added files

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 3, 2005, at 6:52 AM, Robert Swarbrick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've a couple of branches in the system I work on, and in trying to
> merge from one branch to trunk I keep getting "Skipped missing target".

Whenever you see this message, it means you're merging the wrong
revision range.  You're specifying a "patch" which doesn't apply
cleanly to your working copy.  It's very much like the GNU patch
program giving errors about "failed hunks".

In your particular case, it sounds like both the left-tree and
right-tree that are being compared already contain the "error"
directory, but the working copy does not.  The merge command won't
magically auto-create files and dirs for you unless the left-hand tree
*doesn't* contain the item and the right-hand tree *does* contain the
item.

The solution?  You should be comparing different trees -- the revision
range should include whatever revision the 'error' directory first came
into existence.

I'm not familiar with TSVN's merge command very well, so I can't give
more details than that.