Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by davers <db...@improvementdirect.com> on 2012/12/26 21:21:29 UTC

Updating configuration files when using Solr Cloud

What is the recommended process of updating configuration files when using
Solr Cloud? For instance I want to update my synonyms.txt file or
elevate.xml files. I know that these files are stored in the zookeeper
ensemble and can be updated there. My question is what is the best method of
updating these files? I am currently expecting to have to write my own java
program to interface these files for editing.

The other question that I have is once these files are updated will each
server in the cloud need to either have its servlet restarted or it's
configurations reloaded?

I have also asked a similar question regarding adding solr cores to a
running solr cloud which still hasn't been answered here
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Adding-a-new-core-to-SolrCloud-without-affecting-the-initial-core-td4028408.html

I would appreciate any help with these issues.

Re: Updating configuration files when using Solr Cloud

Posted by davers <db...@improvementdirect.com>.
Actually if I update my configs with the zkCli:

java -classpath example/solr-webapp/WEB-INF/lib/*
org.apache.solr.cloud.ZkCLI -cmd upconfig -zkhost 127.0.0.1:9983 -confdir
example/solr/collection1/conf -confname conf1 -solrhome example/solr

Can I then use the Collections API to reload all of the configs?

http://<server>:8080/apache-solr-4.0.0/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=myindex

Will this perform a rolling restart of the configurations? If not will there
be any search downtime using the collections API in this manner?

Re: Updating configuration files when using Solr Cloud

Posted by davers <db...@improvementdirect.com>.
It looks like any changes to configuration files need to be partnered with a
rolling restart of the cloud:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud#Example_C:_Two_shard_cluster_with_shard_replicas_and_zookeeper_ensemble

ZooKeeper

Multiple Zookeeper servers running together for fault tolerance and high
availability is called an ensemble. For production, it's recommended that
you run an external zookeeper ensemble rather than having Solr run embedded
servers. See the Apache ZooKeeper site for more information on downloading
and running a zookeeper ensemble. More specifically, try Getting Started and
ZooKeeper Admin. It's actually pretty simple to get going. You can stick to
having Solr run ZooKeeper, but keep in mind that a ZooKeeper cluster is not
easily changed dynamically. Until further support is added to ZooKeeper,
changes are best done with rolling restarts. Handling this in a separate
process from Solr will usually be preferable.