Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/06/15 23:35:45 UTC

[classlib] I modified "build.xml" to stop running the "clean" target on every invocation

I hope that no one really is bothered by that.  It's just so annoying :)

If you are, feel free to put it back  (or I will ) and then lets discuss?

geir

Re: [classlib] I modified "build.xml" to stop running the "clean" target on every invocation

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> While we are on the subject, how about we move the build.xml up a level
> into classlib/trunk (and each modules' build.xml up a level too) [1].  I
> would like to leave the helper scripts down in the make subdirs, such
> that the build.xml would only have targets that we expect anyone to
> call, and the subtargets would go into the helpers?

Did you see Mark's note.

> Regards,
> Tim
>
> [1] I'm hoping that by now you have forgotten I asked for them to be put
> in make, but I've got over that aberration now :-)  Of course I'm
> volunteering to do the refactoring myself to make up for it.

:)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I hope that no one really is bothered by that.  It's just so annoying :)
>
> If you are, feel free to put it back  (or I will ) and then lets discuss?
>
> geir

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib] I modified "build.xml" to stop running the "clean" target on every invocation

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Paulex Yang wrote:
>
>> Stepan Mishura wrote:

>>> Then we have to perform "clean" explicitly each time that seems for me
>>> annoying too.
>>>
>>> I was OK with "clean" as a default action.
>>>
>> So do we have the choice not to clean when running the script manually?
>>

> yes - you have to type "ant build" or something.

I see, thank you.
> I've never seen a default "clean" before, which is why I find it annoying :)

+1, I guess for daily work,  it is more frequently to update one or two
files and then build.
> geir
>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Stepan.
>>>
>>> geir

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM

Re: [classlib] I modified "build.xml" to stop running the "clean" target on every invocation

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 6/16/06, Paulex Yang wrote:

> Stepan Mishura wrote:

> >> I don't understand.
> >>
> >> What prevents someone from doing
> >>
> >> $ ant clean; ant;
> >>
> >> to solve that?
> >

> > Then we have to perform "clean" explicitly each time that seems for me
> > annoying too.
> >
> > I was OK with "clean" as a default action.
> So do we have the choice not to clean when running the script manually?

ant build

Thanks,
Stepan.

> > Thanks,
> > Stepan.
> >
> > geir

> annoying
> >> :)

> >> discuss?

> Paulex Yang
> China Software Development Lab
> IBM

Stepan Mishura
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib] I modified "build.xml" to stop running the "clean" target on every invocation

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 6/16/06, Geir Magnusson Jr  wrote:

> Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > On 6/16/06, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >>
> >> but that means that you touch one file, the whole thing gets rebuilt.
> >> Doesn't make much sense...
> >>
> >> Let me ask - how do you use this?
> >

> > Right, if one file is updated it doesn't make sense to rebuild
> > everything so
> > I type 'ant build'.
> > But usually there are several updates in different modules and I prefer
> > make 'clean' before building - just to avoid having debris of the
> previous
> > build.
>
> Ah ah!  So you are literally thinking "I need to make sure clean runs"? :)

Well, something like that :-)

Thanks,
Stepan

Re: [classlib] I modified "build.xml" to stop running the "clean" target on every invocation

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.