Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2003/03/12 11:38:46 UTC

Interceptors and Lifecycle (was: RE: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release)

> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@realityforge.org]
>
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:14, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > I assume those things can be handled with interceptors. An
> interceptor
> > can be realized via wrapping a component in a proxy, yes?
>
> one approach.
>
> > Then if the methods in the Creator and Accessor interfaces
> are made to
> > *return* an Object, then they can be used to wrap components in
> > proxies.
> >
> > Would this be enough to realize those use cases?
>
> it would be an improvement but still no cigar.
>
> I would hardly call these interfaces well tested or mature.
> Given them a year
> or more and if they are still about then we can consider
> moving them in. Even
> then I doubt they should be in framework as they would not be
> specific to
> avalon

I'm trying to find some common ground - it is complicated mostly because
while I know what an interceptor *is* I have no clue at all just what
difficulties I would run up against when trying to implement it.

I found this:

    http://www.java.no/web/moter/moteSep02/AOP_files/frame.html

Now, if a lifecycle package could be constructed that would support
everything described there, would it be enough?

/LS

Re: Interceptors and Lifecycle (was: RE: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
AOP link of the day:
http://www.easycomp.org/

AOP link of yesterday:
http://www.emn.fr/x-info/sudholt/papers/tr-11-2002.pdf

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Interceptors and Lifecycle (was: RE: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 15:28, Leo Simons wrote:
> I was just talking with a flatmate about n-d SoC. Guess what? Our
> university is leading the field :D

Undoubtedly, that's where the first AOP conference was. I probably
walked right by you at some point! :-)

> AOP link of tomorrow:
> http://trese.cs.utwente.nl/
>
> cheers,
>
> - Leo
>
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > AOP link of the day:
> > http://www.easycomp.org/
> >
> > AOP link of yesterday:
> > http://www.emn.fr/x-info/sudholt/papers/tr-11-2002.pdf

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Interceptors and Lifecycle (was: RE: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 15:28, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>I was just talking with a flatmate about n-d SoC. Guess what? Our
>>university is leading the field :D
>
> Undoubtedly, that's where the first AOP conference was. I probably
> walked right by you at some point! :-)

heh :D I think I was in Oz at the time. Also, I'm not a CompSci at all:
my study concerns physics. So I would probably not be attending...still,
its a small world after all!

cheers!

- Leo

Re: Interceptors and Lifecycle (was: RE: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:
> AOP link of the day:
> http://www.easycomp.org/
>
> AOP link of yesterday:
> http://www.emn.fr/x-info/sudholt/papers/tr-11-2002.pdf

Re: [PROPOSAL] Interceptors and Lifecycle Consensus?

Posted by dv...@phpapp.org.
Quoting Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>:
> Here:
>
>      http://www.java.no/web/moter/moteSep02/AOP_files/frame.html

And there for better rendering of graphics :)

http://www.java.no/web/moter/moteSep02/AOP.html

[PROPOSAL] Interceptors and Lifecycle Consensus?

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
Here:

     http://www.java.no/web/moter/moteSep02/AOP_files/frame.html

is an article on interceptors.

As far as the lifecycle package is concerned, I'd like to paint a
big bullseye on that article.

The objections to the lifecycle package seem to be that it is not
capable enough, so how about this:

 1. Release it as-is, but keep it in Excalibur
    Hey, we need to get stuff out the door.

 2. Set your GPS systems, laser guidance kits etc. to:
    http://www.java.no/web/moter/moteSep02/AOP_files/frame.html
    That's what we should be able to support.

 3. Hold off on moving lifecycle -> framework.

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
> > I found this:
> >
> >     http://www.java.no/web/moter/moteSep02/AOP_files/frame.html

Ricard is working with my buddy Joe Walnes on a book that includes a project 'PetSoar'.  For that
they have created a bespoke container that uses a generic and interfaceless form of IoC.  It does
not leverage Avalon at all, but at least they mention it in the book.  Another container, with its
own component lacing scheme.  At least there are new (and significant) allies to our cause now.
Can't convince Joe on logging though :-(

Regards,

- Paul

Re: Interceptors and Lifecycle (was: RE: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:38, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I'm trying to find some common ground - it is complicated mostly because
> while I know what an interceptor *is* I have no clue at all just what
> difficulties I would run up against when trying to implement it.

They are actually relatively easy to implement - just hard to manage
generically ;)

> I found this:
>
>     http://www.java.no/web/moter/moteSep02/AOP_files/frame.html

thats a good one. I sent another to Berin recently ... Berin can you post the
link?

> Now, if a lifecycle package could be constructed that would support
> everything described there, would it be enough?

sure - if it could support all that then it would not suck technically. Still
has no place in framework CVS though - especially if it has not had time to
mature and settle (Remember even the current framework took at least 3 years
to settle and we got oodles wrong with that).

Though I believe Rickard Öbergs is going to release his toolkit soon (though
he was going to do it in december ... then january ...) so you may want to
wait for that. I susepct it will be fairly solid - though maybe "gritty"
tech. There is also nanning at sourceforge that may form a base if you want
to start it imediately though nanning is not really scalable enough for fine
grain components.

I am working on a toolkit also to do this stuff but it is no where near mature
enough at this stage. A basic overview that assumes exisitng knowledge

http://spice.sourceforge.net/xinvoke/selectors.html
http://spice.sourceforge.net/xinvoke/interceptor.html

But thats not going to be worked on for a while.

BTW I dont object to it being released as an excalibur component or whatever
but not as part of framework or in anyway given the same level of maturity or
support as framework.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald