Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org> on 2016/04/18 23:59:22 UTC

VOTE: RC2 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf

Please VOTE to release the Apache Solr Ref Guide for 6.0:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0-RC2/

$ cat apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf.sha1
9073530b89148ce3f641a42e38249bd1fbb25136  apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf

Here's my +1.

* Note, RC1 was skipped because there were a few other issues to be
fixed right after I'd committed it.

Thanks,
Cassandra

Re: VOTE: RC2 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 3:29 AM, Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Please VOTE to release the Apache Solr Ref Guide for 6.0:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0-RC2/
>
> $ cat apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf.sha1
> 9073530b89148ce3f641a42e38249bd1fbb25136  apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> * Note, RC1 was skipped because there were a few other issues to be
> fixed right after I'd committed it.
>
> Thanks,
> Cassandra

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: VOTE: RC2 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
Oh, yes, I see what you meant, Jan. Confluence PDF definitely doesn't
have that level of control or "smarts".

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com>.
+1 to release.

When I read the first 40 pages of the ref guide thoroughly, I found these
minor issue. I should be able to fix most of them . If I am not able to fix
any I will reach out for help.

Page 3/4 : The Paths heading this sentence looks a bit off?  -

When running the various examples mentioned through out this tutorial
(i.e., bin/solr -e techproducts) the solr.home will be a sub directory of
example/ created for you automatically

Maybe we can word it as : When running the various examples mentioned in
this guide (ex. bin/solr -e techproducts) the solr.home will be the
example/<example_name> directory (ex. example/techproducts)

The ref guide mentions this `Lucene/Solr downloads have grown nearly ten
times over the past three years, with a current run-rate of over 6,000
downloads a day` - Just curious when are these numbers from?

Page 7, Page 18 : Should the heading be just "Start Solr with a Specific
Bundled Example" instead of "Start Solr with a Specific Example
Configuration" ?

Screenshot on Page 10 doesn't have the techproducts core name in the URL. I
guess it's from the collection1 days

The last sentence on page 11 seems a bit off? "Here is a request further
constraining the request to documents with a category of "software"." -
Maybe - This request constrains documents with a category of "software".

Page 12- "Deploy Solr to your application server." . We don't need to
mention "to your application server" part anymore.
Page 12 Point 3 - Should we rephrase "Feed Solr the document for which your
users will search."  - "Feed Solr documents..." ?
Page 12 - "and the response is a structured document: mainly XML..."

If you start the dih example, the new UI doesn't parse the "overview" tab
correctly in any of the 5 cores as part of this example. Thats a Jira though

The note on page 18, "run-in" should simply be "run in"

For the create command on page 22: All the params have an example . Should
we add the mandatory "-c" argument to them or let it be as it is?

On Page 28, the logging point says "Logging explains the various logging
levels available and how to invoke them." . Maybe it should be "The Logging
page shows recent messages logged by this Solr node." (copied from the
first line of the actual data)

Page 36, "In example screenshot above"  . the is missing.

Page 37, Documents Screen : The screen allows.. This screen allows
Did not know it could upload documents :)

Page 39 - solrconfig.xml or your Schema  : schema should be small caps

Varun Thacker

Re: VOTE: RC2 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
+1

Agree with Tomás’ comments. Checked 5.3 refguide as well, and the image split across page break exists there too, but by coincidence most screenshots were in the middle of pages :) I think for 6.0 we got a worst possible placement :) Perhaps the feature of numbered images is not so stupid after all, letting the software rearrange images as it see fit to avoid splitting or huge open white spaces at the bottom of pages. But Confluence probably does not support that?

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
+1

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Please VOTE to release the Apache Solr Ref Guide for 6.0:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0-RC2/
>
> $ cat apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf.sha1
> 9073530b89148ce3f641a42e38249bd1fbb25136  apache-solr-ref-guide-6.0.pdf
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> * Note, RC1 was skipped because there were a few other issues to be
> fixed right after I'd committed it.
>
> Thanks,
> Cassandra

Anshum Gupta