Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/24 14:40:55 UTC

Remove svn:keywords in Tomcat 6, 7, 8.

Hi!

With so many people looking forward to Git [1] I think it is time to
remove svn keywords from our source files.

There are two things:
1) Remove $Id$ etc. lines from the files
2) Remove svn:keywords property
svn propdel svn:keywords --depth infinity

"1)" is motivated by lack of support for such properties in Git.
"2)" will make Subversion a bit faster by removing the need to scan
files for keywords.

Any objection to proceed with this?

I think this can also be applied to Tomcat 6.
Technically, all keywords are in comments, so it nearly qualifies for
CTR. Any objections here?

We had one hiccup during 6.0.38 release process due to $Id keyword
being present in build.properties.default file. [2] This change will
also fix that issue.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/2nwguz3fpbjbppp5
[2] http://markmail.org/message/yclg6wsywsiixwpi

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Remove svn:keywords in Tomcat 6, 7, 8.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2014-01-27 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
> 2014-01-25 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
>> 2014/1/24 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> With so many people looking forward to Git [1] I think it is time to
>>> remove svn keywords from our source files.
>>>
>>> There are two things:
>>> 1) Remove $Id$ etc. lines from the files
>>> 2) Remove svn:keywords property
>>> svn propdel svn:keywords --depth infinity
>>>
>>> "1)" is motivated by lack of support for such properties in Git.
>>> "2)" will make Subversion a bit faster by removing the need to scan
>>> files for keywords.
>>>
>>> Any objection to proceed with this?
>>>
>>> I think this can also be applied to Tomcat 6.
>>> Technically, all keywords are in comments, so it nearly qualifies for
>>> CTR. Any objections here?
>>>

>> Completed with Tomcat 8.
>> (...)
>
> Completed with Tomcat 7.

Completed with Tomcat 6.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2014-01-25 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
> 2014/1/24 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
>> Hi!
>>
>> With so many people looking forward to Git [1] I think it is time to
>> remove svn keywords from our source files.
>>
>> There are two things:
>> 1) Remove $Id$ etc. lines from the files
>> 2) Remove svn:keywords property
>> svn propdel svn:keywords --depth infinity
>>
>> "1)" is motivated by lack of support for such properties in Git.
>> "2)" will make Subversion a bit faster by removing the need to scan
>> files for keywords.
>>
>> Any objection to proceed with this?
>>
>> I think this can also be applied to Tomcat 6.
>> Technically, all keywords are in comments, so it nearly qualifies for
>> CTR. Any objections here?
>>

> Completed with Tomcat 8.
> (...)

Completed with Tomcat 7.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2014/1/24 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
> Hi!
>
> With so many people looking forward to Git [1] I think it is time to
> remove svn keywords from our source files.
>
> There are two things:
> 1) Remove $Id$ etc. lines from the files
> 2) Remove svn:keywords property
> svn propdel svn:keywords --depth infinity
>
> "1)" is motivated by lack of support for such properties in Git.
> "2)" will make Subversion a bit faster by removing the need to scan
> files for keywords.
>
> Any objection to proceed with this?
>
> I think this can also be applied to Tomcat 6.
> Technically, all keywords are in comments, so it nearly qualifies for
> CTR. Any objections here?

Completed with Tomcat 8.

Nothing unusual here except for two commits

1. Subversion treated *.dtd files as binary ones.

That was because of their svn:mime-type property value
(application/xml-dtd) which was not a text/* mime type.
I fixed that by removing the svn:mime-type property. (r1561083)

2. Update of Schema and DTD files in javax/servlet/** (r1561094)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 24.01.2014 14:40, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> With so many people looking forward to Git [1] I think it is time to
> remove svn keywords from our source files.
>
> There are two things:
> 1) Remove $Id$ etc. lines from the files
> 2) Remove svn:keywords property
> svn propdel svn:keywords --depth infinity
>
> "1)" is motivated by lack of support for such properties in Git.
> "2)" will make Subversion a bit faster by removing the need to scan
> files for keywords.
>
> Any objection to proceed with this?

OK for me. I did a quick check, what types of keywords are affected:

trunk:
Count   svn:keywords
1599  - Author Date Id Revision
 132  - Date Author Id Revision
  39  - Date Author Id Revision HeadURL
   3  - Date Revision Author Id
   4  - Id

tc7:
Count   svn:keywords
   1  - author date id revision
1638  - Author Date Id Revision
 131  - Date Author Id Revision
  39  - Date Author Id Revision HeadURL
   2  - Date Revision Author HeadURL Id
   3  - Date Revision Author Id
   4  - Id

tc6:
Count   svn:keywords
1611  - Author Date Id Revision
  13  - Date Author Id Revision

The HeadURL keyword seems to come from having copied codec and
fileupload but it is not actually used in the files.

> I think this can also be applied to Tomcat 6.
> Technically, all keywords are in comments, so it nearly qualifies for
> CTR. Any objections here?

OK for me.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Remove svn:keywords in Tomcat 6, 7, 8.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/01/2014 13:40, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> With so many people looking forward to Git [1] I think it is time to
> remove svn keywords from our source files.

<snip/>

> Any objection to proceed with this?

None here.

> I think this can also be applied to Tomcat 6.
> Technically, all keywords are in comments, so it nearly qualifies for
> CTR. Any objections here?

None here either.

Mark