Posted to user@poi.apache.org by John Musbach <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/16 22:36:23 UTC

WorkbookFactory not found :-/

Hi, I'm trying to follow the reading/writing hssf workbook example
here: http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html#ReadWriteWorkbook
but am running into trouble doing so. My main issue is that although
I've downloaded what appear to be the latest stable binaries for this
project (3.2) and included them in my Eclipse project, Eclipse finds
"import org.apache.poi.*;" and
"import org.apache.poi.hssf.model.*;" just fine but it can't find
org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel (aka org.apache.poi.ss.*;) which appears
to be needed to use WorkbookFactory per the javadocs
(http://poi.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/poi/ss/usermodel/WorkbookFactory.html),
all it finds is org.apache.poi.ss.formula.*... What do I need to do to
get this working? Thanks!

--
Best Regards,

John Musbach

Re: WorkbookFactory not found :-/

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@jmlafferty.com>.
Depends on what you call stable.

Many of us consider these 3.5 betas as stable enough to run in
production.

OOXML is completely new, includes a large contribution, and a lot of
development has been done.

The POI 3.5beta6 release is being voted on now - 3.5FINAL should
follow in 2 months.

The developers have closed a large number of bugzilla issues between
beta 5 and beta 6. See http://poi.apache.org/changes.html - notice the
XSSF bug fixes.

Enjoy.

Contributions are always welcome especially patches that are on the
latest trunk and include unit tests.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by John Musbach <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Last time I checked WorkbookFactory was in
poi-ooxml-3.5-beta5-20090219.jar.  Try adding it to your classpath and see
if that fixes the problem.

Hope this helps,

Mark

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 1:36 PM, John Musbach <jo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to follow the reading/writing hssf workbook example
> here: http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html#ReadWriteWorkbook
> but am running into trouble doing so. My main issue is that although
> I've downloaded what appear to be the latest stable binaries for this
> project (3.2) and included them in my Eclipse project, Eclipse finds
> "import org.apache.poi.*;" and
> "import org.apache.poi.hssf.model.*;" just fine but it can't find
> org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel (aka org.apache.poi.ss.*;) which appears
> to be needed to use WorkbookFactory per the javadocs
> (
> http://poi.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/poi/ss/usermodel/WorkbookFactory.html
> ),
> all it finds is org.apache.poi.ss.formula.*... What do I need to do to
> get this working? Thanks!
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> John Musbach